2016 Summer Olympics

No thread?

I just watched the last set of the Walsh/Ross beach volleyball tonight with the sound off. No matter how great Walsh is, listening to gushing anecdotes about her genius, without pause, on and on, is intolerable.

For all sports, I wish there was an option to turn off commentary while retaining crowd noise. (What do volleyball commentators need to say, except to elucidate an unexpected ruling? It's not a mysterious sport.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh what, because they are pacific islanders you think they are savages. Check your privilege.

I know we're working with Wilf on this, and its quite a journey for him, but I'd encourage you join us on the voyage.   "I was wrong and I didn't know what I was talking about." try it.

Spin away.   It would be like American Samoa beating us in basketball.

The most useless sporting event ever created. At least when amateurs participated it was fun. Now it's all about politics and poker and drugs and ratings. Has been for the last 60 years with the last 35 being the worst.

The most useless sporting event ever created. At least when amateurs participated it was fun. Now it's all about politics and poker and drugs and ratings. Has been for the last 60 years with the last 35 being the worst.

All downhill since Tokyo '64 if you ask me.

Good thing I'll be back in West Cork soon, because just listening to Irish rowers the O'Donovan Brothers from Skibbereen is making me homesick. They're through to the Lightweight Double Sculls final, and their interviews are as Cork as you can get. There's a quick clip at the top of this article, but if you scroll to the bottom, there's a longer one where they credit their Nana for their success.

A month from now will be real nailbiting time as my cousin's daughter competes in the Paralympics as part of the US Equestrian team.

personally, i think the olympics should only be open to regular people and i also think--some of you have heard this theory before--that it should only include sports whose skills will come in handy after a nuclear apocalypse when humans are returned to nomadic hunter-gatherer status.