Anthony Bonner

AmEx, Chase Sapphire (split from Global Entry)

I dare you to stay in the one of the American lounges at JFK by choice. Dare you.

Never set foot in one. And the small SC is another reason to remind me why I hate JFK. Although I hear the redone lounge is better (has to be).

Is there any interest in spinning the Chase Reserve VS AmEx topic into its own thread?

i'd be interested in hearing folks experiences with asking/being offered retention incentives or how folks are choosing between cards.

• Like 1

Is there any interest in spinning the Chase Reserve VS AmEx topic into its own thread?

i'd be interested in hearing folks experiences with asking/being offered retention incentives or how folks are choosing between cards.

Me too. I don't have CSR yet, but I'm trying to figure out if I can justify holding onto the Amex Plat. My CSP (and presumably the CSR) gives me one huge benefit the Amex doesn't: rental car coverage in Ireland. I've rented 3 times there in the past year, and only took advantage for the last one. I could have saved at least 400euro total for last Sept and this past May if I'd been paying attention :(

Amex doesn't give you protection in Ireland or the first loss protection?

I though Amex covered you ex-insurance deductible, whereas chase's premium cards are first loss?

Nobody cares, but years ago -- decades, now -- I was faced with the prospect of upgrading my AMEX gold card to a platinum. I decided instead to downgrade to a green card. I just didn't want to think of myself as that kind of person.

Amex doesn't give you protection in Ireland or the first loss protection?

I though Amex covered you ex-insurance deductible, whereas chase's premium cards are first loss?

Nope:

Coverage is not available for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.

Ireland's the worst for car rentals. Only CSP and a couple of Citi cards offer coverage there. When I've purchased the Hertz CDW and Excess (which brings my liability to zero, even in the case of a total loss), it more than doubles the price of the rental itself.

you know the gutters in the airports will run red with all your blood, come the revolution, right?

Why do you think were stoking the flames of nativism? I figure they'll come for you first and by the time they get to me it'll all be burned out.