From Missouri to California, then SLC & everything in between

We left Tuesday to head west for my annual conference in Salt Lake City--but decided to go to California first for a bit of personal business and to see old friends. I can't say I've got anything terribly new and remarkable to report yet, but will at least report on old favorites and some places we tried for the first time.

And my internet connection here is dreadful, so am lumping California in here, too.

Grand Junction, CO: Had a delightful lunch at Citrola's Italian Grill. I wasn't really hungry so ordered their Figalicious appetizer--toast with mascarpone, prosciutto and figs, drizzled with balsamic glaze. It was fantastic! I wish we'd been there to have dinner. I imagine it is very good. It was a real surprise--we just stumbled upon it. http://www.citrolasitaliangrill.com/

Costa Mesa/Newport Beach: Dinner at our old favorite The Golden Truffle. Alan Greeley may be getting older, but the place still puts out excellent food. http://goldentruffle.com/

Laguna Niguel, CA: We had a bit of a hectic day and stopped in one of my old happy hour hang-outs for lunch--Romeo Cucina. Still very good. I had an eggplant pannini, Don had a seafood mixed grill. Both excellent. http://www.romeocucina.com/

Foothill Ranch, CA: We were meeting an old friend and he picked the place. It is a small family-owned So. Calif. Mexican chain that he does design and promotion work for. I was not thrilled to be going to a chain on our trip, but got out-voted. It was excellent! We had only shared appetizers because our Italian lunch was late and large, and the food at Miguel's is very large. The queso fundido was the best I've had--crumbled very crispy chorizo on top. Really delicious on their home-made flour tortillas. We also had the Sonora Roll (think I have that right), with pork and salsa verde--like a large burrito only much better. Guacamole and salsas were also very good. We finished with flan and it was the best I've ever had. Also deserving mention is the cilantro-cucumber margarita I had. YUM! http://miguelsrestaurant.com/

This afternoon we head out to Riverside, CA to spend a couple of days with friends out there. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us. Riverside has changed so much in recent years. Then, Monday, we head to SLC and will be there for the rest of the week. Will post updates as internet and time permits.

Thanks for the update.

Riverside CA is almost unrecognizable compared to 20 25 years ago. Just an explosion of population.

Yes it is! So different! Saturday dinner was at Le Chat Noir: http://www.lechatnoirfrenchrestaurant.com/

I had duck breast, Don had sweetbreads. We started with foie gras and it was fantastic! Great service. Vraiment francais. After dinner drink at Mission Inn and that place is still holding strong.

Went to Big Bear on Sunday and it was just sad. The drought is so much worse than I knew. All the trees are bone dry (waiting for a fire) and the lake is just pathetic! Lakefront properties are no where near the lake. Not much activity--you can actually see the ground in the middle of the lake. I will try to post photos later.

Sunday night was a hoot! A local place in Riverside--Tio's Tacos.http://tiostacos1.com/ Food is very good for that sort of place--authentic. The big attraction is the art. You have to see it in person to believe it. The outdoor art area is much larger that the actual restaurant, though there are areas with outdoor dining and events. I understand that many quinceañeras are held there. http://tiostacos1.com/?page_id=10116

Today we are in St. George, UT. After much trying (apparently a huge accident on I-15 just outside St. George had traffic really backed up--we persisted in finding an alternate route) we made our way back to Painted Pony, which we stumbled upon 7 years ago when we were moving from CA to MO. Still there and still great. I had a juniper marinated pork chop with smoked tomato "salsa" for lack of a better word, sweet corn bread pudding and pear stuffed with blue cheese and walnuts. Don had lamb with mint gelee cubes and I don't recall his sides. Started with an appetizer of bacon wrapped, almond stuffed dates that were the best!! https://painted-pony.com/

We will arrive in Salt Lake City tomorrow. I've not heard about anything new there (if you know anything, do tell!!!), but will keep my eyes and ears open as much as I can while I'm not in the conference. And once again, this convention is breaking records in Utah. Over 30,000 attendees. Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...

Nevada was brute-forced into loosening alcohol rules prior to the Olympics. Nobody said they were happy about the change.

(The LDS Church does not approve of the use of alcohol for its members, and previously had a Byzantine system for purchasing mixed drinks, 3.2 beer, etc in restaurants.

I was in SLC two months ago for almost 2 weeks. Lovely town, crappy food, even worse booze. (Some of the breweries are good but you can only get their drinkable stuff on tap in Nevada...)

To each his own. I think there are some very good restaurants there, but perhaps we live by different standards. I don't drink beer and have not had a difficult time finding good wine or cocktails there. Sorry you had such a bad time.

Edited to add: By the time I came back to add comments about the places we went in SLC, there was a big brouhaha going on here. I sort of back out of online stress when I see it these days. I just figured no one here really cared where I went or what we ate, so I lost interest in posting about it. Sorry. I have enough stress in my life with taking care of a mother with dementia.

no offense but the laws both limit beer on tap to 4.5% abv and restrict you to what the state brings in, and even if we're only talking about bottled beer you can drink at home the situation is several orders of magnitude worse than anywhere else in I've been in the us. (when I was there I read the complete list of what was available on the state website.)

my meal at forage was extremely good by nyc standards, especially if you factor in the price.

Nevada was brute-forced into loosening alcohol rules prior to the Olympics. Nobody said they were happy about the change.

(The LDS Church does not approve of the use of alcohol for its members, and previously had a Byzantine system for purchasing mixed drinks, 3.2 beer, etc in restaurants.

After Huntsman left the governor's office they tightened the rules back up.....

I was in SLC two months ago for almost 2 weeks. Lovely town, crappy food, even worse booze. (Some of the breweries are good but you can only get their drinkable stuff on tap in Nevada...)

To each his own. I think there are some very good restaurants there, but perhaps we live by different standards. I don't drink beer and have not had a difficult time finding good wine or cocktails there. Sorry you had such a bad time.

Edited to add: By the time I came back to add comments about the places we went in SLC, there was a big brouhaha going on here. I sort of back out of online stress when I see it these days. I just figured no one here really cared where I went or what we ate, so I lost interest in posting about it. Sorry. I have enough stress in my life with taking care of a mother with dementia.

you can get wine...the problem with the cocktails (there are a number of places trying) is the 1.5 ounces of alcohol in a drink law. you can get a highball but you can't get a real Manhattan or Martini etc...(at the places that try they have to make tiny cocktails and then still charge $14 for them).

as for the food, I'd love to hear where you ate...I explored all over downtown...

no offense but the laws both limit beer on tap to 4.5% abv and restrict you to what the state brings in, and even if we're only talking about bottled beer you can drink at home the situation is several orders of magnitude worse than anywhere else in I've been in the us. (when I was there I read the complete list of what was available on the state website.)

my meal at forage was extremely good by nyc standards, especially if you factor in the price.

Forage is closed. actually the beer on tap is limited by law to 3.2%. the only good news is that cocktails are never free-poured. they have special systems on the bottles to ensure that no more than 1.5 ounces is ever poured.