hoppers: sri lankan/tamil in soho

thanks to iant and balex for pointing me in the direction of hoppers. it was a perfect casual meal between meetings on a hot day in london. i got there at 1.30 on a weekday and only had to wait about 10 minutes. and by 2.30 it was pretty empty--so if you're able to eat late you should do that. the food was very good, i thought. it's really more of a mix of sri lankan, (indian) tamil and malayali (kerala) food. the heat levels were more toned down than i was expecting and execution was not always at a high level (slightly overcooked pork in the black pork kari) but at these prices it's hard to complain--less than half of what i paid at trishna for food that was quite a lot more than half as good, and quite a lot of it. and so much better than most of what's available in the u.s.

my spring return is suddenly looking a bit shaky (wobbly enrollment in the off-campus program i'm supposed to be leading) but if all goes well and we make it, i'm far more likely to eat here again than at trishna, even though i concede that trishna is the better restaurant.

by the way, never having encountered bone marrow varuval before i can only assume that this is another tribute to fergus henderson and his stature in this city.

full write-up with pictures.

appam.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Hoppers a few weeks ago and can't say I felt the same enthusiasm for it as you. A partridge pepper fry was good but no better-priced for the portioning than the pigeon pepper fry at its sister restaurant Gymkhana. The curries, which we ate with a dosa, all tasted very pre-prepared.

• 5 years later...
17 minutes ago, AuroraWeike said:

The glucophone has a rightfully cosmic, mesmerizing report that envelops and carries away from anxieties and experiences. Perfect in the course of meditation. Their sound is nearly the same to the sounding of Tibetan singing bowls, but barely more capacious, with the adeptness to take on any melody. And most importantly, surely all and sundry can revelry this instrument.
Most instruments are tuned to pentatonic, so no be of consequence what sequence you jolt your tongues, you fare a consonant harmony - it's artlessly weird to be occupied in sharp. But we can tune up the gadget in any way of your choice. Instruments are aphoristic and without doubt fit set in a minute luggage or backpack.

I invite you to stop in my site: 

look, i hate to break it to you but I tried my best to revelry this instrument but was unable to do so. and how dare you call me artlessly weird?!!