[Moscow PA] Sam's Butcher Shop - Artisan Smokehouse

I got to try one of the shoulder bacons this morning. Quite good, and very different from say, a double-smoked bacon via Schaller & Weber.

Not too salty, not too smoky, very little waste - good product.

I wonder how the boneless ribs would be smothered with some beans along with collards on the side?

• Like 1
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you who love smoked meats and BBQ, I highly recommend Sam's Butcher Shop. Sam is a small-batch, artisan meat processor. He makes his products in a very authentic and traditional way, usi

Party at Joe's house?

I got to try one of the shoulder bacons this morning. Quite good, and very different from say, a double-smoked bacon via Schaller & Weber.   Not too salty, not too smoky, very little waste - goo

So I called Sam from a nearby community and left a message noting that I'd passing through Moscow on Sunday (today) and asking if he was open.

He left me a voicemail telling me that he doesn't really have a retail store. He makes meat in his house, he said, and sells it over the internet. He said he'd be happy to arrange a meeting at his home for me -- but since he mainly produces meat to order, I'd only be able to buy whatever remnants he has lying around.

I called Sam back and actually spoke to him, telling him that it seemed to make more sense for me to put in an internet order when I got home.

The uptake from this is that Sam seemed like a really nice guy. He also seemed like the real thing, dedicated to producing a product that he could be proud of.

Sam asked me if I'd heard of him through "that foodboard." I regretfully admitted that was true.

I'm putting in my order tomorrow (Monday). I can't wait to eat this stuff. I hope my innate culinary pretentiousness -- reaching far beyond my grasp -- doesn't lead me to fuck this seemingly excellent raw material up.

Sam sends the following correction:

I don't make the products out of my house and it is actually a state inspected food processing facility. It would not be legal otherwise. I just use it strictly for processing and don't operate it as a retail store, although it used to be when my father had it.

I don't know what I could have been thinking, actually.

Sam may be making the distinction between a slaughter and processing place (USDA and state licensing), and a distribution point (may be state or local purview) from which pickups or shipments are made.

That same issue has been a huge problem for organic meat producers when seeking a USDA authorized slaughterhouse to enable interstate shipments

I made some Rancho Gordo Ojo de cabra beans yesterday. Simply - with carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay, epazote, olive oil and salt.

Then I heated up a couple of the smoked boneless ribs. Moist heat - as a matter of fact, I basically shoved them into the pot of cooked beans and let it all simmer for about 20 minutes...the ribs (country style??) came out super tender. (Since I know Sneak has the steam oven, that would work great, too.)

Served over plain white rice. Quite nice.

Paryzer: THANKS!

My pleasure, Sneakeater! I am so glad that you gave Sam a chance. The Hot Italian Sausage goes great in a sausage & peppers dish. Enjoy your order! I'm looking forward to your report.

Last night I had the melt in your mouth country ribs with a cajun rub, with some crispy garlic fries, and mini red & yellow peppers prepared in the air fryer with a little olive oil, garlic salt, & pepper.