[Moscow PA] Sam's Butcher Shop - Artisan Smokehouse

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you who love smoked meats and BBQ, I highly recommend Sam's Butcher Shop. Sam is a small-batch, artisan meat processor. He makes his products in a very authentic and traditional way, usi

Party at Joe's house?

I got to try one of the shoulder bacons this morning. Quite good, and very different from say, a double-smoked bacon via Schaller & Weber.   Not too salty, not too smoky, very little waste - goo

I had Sam send me a selection of pretty much all his pork products. So far I've had the country ribs (my favorite so far), hot Italian sausage, and pork shoulder bacon.

I'm really looking forward to the porchetta!

Awesome! Are you going to try & re-create Daniel's excellent award winning porchetta sandwich from Mekelburg's ;)

Oh come on. I wouldn't presume to try.

I know. I was just pulling your leg. You can't top perfection :) I only wish I didn't live so far away from Mekelburg's. Everything looks so good there. From the porchetta sandwich, to the amazing oysters, award winning baked potatoes, BBQ shrimp po boy, soft shell crab sandwiches, not to mention the gourmet cheeses. I could go on & on. I just have to live vicariously through the readers' posts while drooling in front of my computer :P

• 4 months later...

Look what 'Samta' Claus delivered :P Woo Hoo. It's Christmas in March :) Besides my usual order of Andouille Sausage, Italian Hot Sausage, and Boneless Country Ribs, I'm looking forward to trying a few new items. I took a quick nibble of the smoked salmon & it is very good. I'm looking forward to trying this with a penne pasta with capers, as well as on an everything bagel, with jalapeno cream cheese, for breakfast tomorrow morning. The pulled pork Carnitas also look very good. It is pork shoulder that is seasoned with jalapeños, onions, garlic, cumin and pepper. It will go great in a taco. I am also looking forward to trying the Fennel Porchetta.

awzG9mAh.jpg

pH5knivh.jpg

50NGQLDh.jpg

• Like 1

You're lucky the UPS guy didn't just hijack the whole order, and run with it.

That looks wonderful!

Thanks Paul. It was actually delivered by Fed Ex, and I'm sure his truck is still filled with the intoxicating smell :)

You're still lucky. We've had times when our packages were delivered to the same house number--but on a different street--and we've dealt with packages destined for same number, different street that ended up at our place. FedEx was slightly worse, and one UPS guy quite helpful.

Yes, I've had some dyslexic mailmen leave my packages at house #68 (while my house number is 86). This happened a few times with my medications coming from Express Scripts. Luckily my neighbors were honest enough to return it to me.

Tonight my wife made penne pasta with Sam's delicious smoked salmon, capers, chopped & sauteed red onions, parsley, and fresh shaved parmigiano cheese, mixed with olive oil & some leftover pasta water :P The smoked salmon was delicious. It wasn't overpoweringly smoky. The capers & red onions went well with it as well. Last Saturday, I had it on a crispy toasted everything bagel, with jalapeno cream cheese, for breakfast. It was a perfect combination. I hollowed out the inside of the bagel, to remove most of the breading, so it was mostly just the crust.

tWt2eGlh.jpg

GDTPHmDh.jpg

• Like 1

When my Sam's order arrived, it was hard to get my doorman to turn it over.

If I were a better person, I'd have invited him up for some. But I'm not as confident in my ability to do things with this stuff as Mrs. paryzer.

(FWIW, I thought the smoked salmon -- which Sam threw into my order as a gift -- was really good, too.)

When my Sam's order arrived, it was hard to get my doorman to turn it over.

If I were a better person, I'd have invited him up for some. But I'm not as confident in my ability to do things with this stuff as Mrs. paryzer.

(FWIW, I thought the smoked salmon -- which Sam threw into my order as a gift -- was really good, too.)

I don't know Sneak. I have read about some of your very creative dishes in 'the rest of us' thread, and this one is pretty simple, compared to those (says the person who doesn't cook ;) ) .

You know, they're probably the least sexy things he makes, but after the boneless ribs (which are just celestial) I think my favorites so far (and I have a ways to go) may be the Brats.

Yes, those melt in your mouth boneless ribs are one of my favorites as well (along with the spicy & smoky Andouille sausage).