Essex Crossing, Essex St. Market, and More

The downstairs was cordoned off with yellow tape, at least at the stairs where I enter the market (at Broome and Norfolk).

One of the security guards said they were getting rid of all the seating downstairs, and some places might re-open for takeout only. Didn't seem 100% sure, though - everything's in flux. 

Ends Meat is still open for now - you can order online and they'll meet you upstairs with the goods.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made my first visit below deck this afternoon. About half the places are still closed, including Tortilleria Nixtamal, which was my primary destination. Alas. The Pickle Guys (who are up and running

That new butcher had me confused. Most of the prices were about right for higher-end meat, in that Fleischers/Dickson’s price point. For whipping up a bolognese I’ll go to Luis’, but if I’m making tar

Don't give up the day job...

The downstairs was cordoned off with yellow tape, at least at the stairs where I enter the market (at Broome and Norfolk).

One of the security guards said they were getting rid of all the seating downstairs, and some places might re-open for takeout only. Didn't seem 100% sure, though - everything's in flux. 

Ends Meat is still open for now - you can order online and they'll meet you upstairs with the goods.

Yes - their Instagram can (sort of) keep you up to date on what's going on there.

It was pretty crowded down there every time I stopped in, which was at least twice a week. No one seemed to be buying the froufrou candy, but Essex Pearl and Peoples Wine were always hopping.

The hope of being much more hopping was priced in from the start. I assume the developer will offer tenants some breaks, but I just don't know how many of them can survive the year.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a good tip: pretty much empty, while lines had formed outside regular high street supermarkets. Maybe people think everything here is boutique expensive (of course, it's not).  Pork shoulder and morcilla from Luis, cheese and pate from Formaggio, and even indulged in some (okay boutique expensive) milk from Valley Shepherd Creamery.

If they can keep out the people who can't follow instructions, and if people who are in can follow the simplest distancing rules, it's a wonderful asset.

The 3 greengrocers, Luis, fish, all reasonable.  The stuff that's allegedly expensive, we all agree, is worth it.

My local supermarket has signs on the door saying entry is limited to 50 customers at a time.  But I don't see anyone enforcing it.  (Maybe they're doing it behind the scenes.)

Customers inside DO seem very conscious of keeping their distance from each other.

• Like 1

the people I saw cramming the produce isle at the flatbush whole foods last night were certainly not acting like anything was different. it was all people shopping for others using an app on their phones, the rest of the store was pretty empty.