Essex Crossing, Essex St. Market, and More

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made my first visit below deck this afternoon. About half the places are still closed, including Tortilleria Nixtamal, which was my primary destination. Alas. The Pickle Guys (who are up and running

That new butcher had me confused. Most of the prices were about right for higher-end meat, in that Fleischers/Dickson’s price point. For whipping up a bolognese I’ll go to Luis’, but if I’m making tar

The People's Wine chef o' the month is Sunny Lee, and she's making banchan, so obviously I am there for it. There's nothing I like better than an assortment of small amounts of food. It's like my own

Posted Images

A walk around the market and market line yesterday to see what's up.

Fresh pasta place (nee Harlem Shambles) is up and running. Haven't tried yet.

IMG_5469.thumb.jpeg.20b6d3c2ee73cb346f4782e58828559d.jpeg

Essex Pearl appears to be undergoing some sort of change. What could their new concept be?

There's a sushi and sake bar opened downstairs. Evidently a sake bistro...https://www.instagram.com/gouie.newyork/

There were some people cooking at another new (yet unopened) place downstairs. (maybe called Hara or something like that?)

31 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Essex Pearl appears to be undergoing some sort of change. What could their new concept be?

According to the guy at Aquabest, the market (and raw bar, I think he said) will be open by Thanksgiving, and the restaurant by Christmas. So we won't have to wait long.

Very interested in the new sushi place, which was supposed to open ages ago.

• 3 weeks later...

The People's Wine chef o' the month is Sunny Lee, and she's making banchan, so obviously I am there for it. There's nothing I like better than an assortment of small amounts of food. It's like my own personal salad bar!

The center row - egg custard, radish with smoked mackerel, squid with gochuchang - was the standout. But the potato salad (top right) was pretty awesome, too. Comp disclosure: an extra banchan, and a glass and a half of wine. I've apparently been to this place often enough that the wine store person comes out to greet me. It's definitely not because I drop a lot of cash. But it might be because I'm the only person who comes in to ask for "that wine I like, the one with a drawing of a hairball on the label." She knows what I mean.

IMG_0511.jpg

• Like 1

It wasn't uniformly excellent - the kabocha squash didn't impress me much, nor the bean sprouts. I think Lee changes the lineup pretty frequently, so it's worth it for me to go back, plus there's a shrimp toast on the menu that's calling my name. I need to compare it to Kings County Imperial's version, which I love.