Essex Crossing, Essex St. Market, and More

Just now, small h said:

I think that spot might be cursed. Harlem Shambles closed there as well. It's hard to figure out why some places seem to be doing alright and others fail. I would have bet on the Super Fancy Fruit People, and against Rivendel. And yet.

I think Rivendel fits in with the current zeitgeist.  The Super Fancy Fruit People were just idiots; some of their customers maybe figured out you could get the same stuff upstairs for half the price. (FWIW, I didn't even know they closed!)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"These dishes are meant to be shared. ...Is there...someone you can call?"

I made my first visit below deck this afternoon. About half the places are still closed, including Tortilleria Nixtamal, which was my primary destination. Alas. The Pickle Guys (who are up and running

That new butcher had me confused. Most of the prices were about right for higher-end meat, in that Fleischers/Dickson’s price point. For whipping up a bolognese I’ll go to Luis’, but if I’m making tar

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

(FWIW, I didn't even know they closed!)

I followed them on Instagram until they closed up shop. And announced it with a pretty whiny post about how expensive it was to operate in Essex Market - irony!

24 minutes ago, small h said:

I followed them on Instagram until they closed up shop. And announced it with a pretty whiny post about how expensive it was to operate in Essex Market - irony!

As if it was someone else's fault - I'm guessing their business plan wasn't perfect.

1 hour ago, small h said:

I'm shocked, shocked, that charging $1/kumquat was not a solid business model.

Its fun when you follow a businesses instagram and determine pretty quickly they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

15 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Looks as if the Market Line is closer to additional vendors happening. I don't see much online about it, but I did see some signs implying this to be the case.

Upstairs at Essex Market, the fresh pasta place known as Two Fat Tomatoes, is now doneski. (FWIW, I bought some fresh pasta recently, and it was quite good, if not double the price of Raffetto's, or what one pays up on Arthur Avenue).

One of the vendors I'm friendly with was also not exactly sure what went down; rumors, innuendo, all very intriguing.

And this, on his IG account:

They had some nice equipment in there.

Who knows? (Ori????)

As I know from the neighborhood, you can bring nice stuff down here; it doesn't necessarily mean everything will be loved by the 'hood.

I was wondering what happened to them. That’s too bad. I liked those guys. Their squid ink pasta was excellent. 

15 hours ago, small h said:

I think that spot might be cursed. Harlem Shambles closed there as well. It's hard to figure out why some places seem to be doing alright and others fail. I would have bet on the Super Fancy Fruit People, and against Rivendel. And yet.

Fancy Fruit Bro was a joke. Dude had no idea how to operate a business. The product was often not very good, just esoteric. He didn’t really care for it - a day or two after arrival it would all be desiccated and nasty. Many days they wouldn’t be open, and I guess they just hoped the guys at Ends Meat would stop people from stealing shit. After awhile I began to wonder if it  was just a bad installation art piece and not a store. 

46 minutes ago, Seth Gordon said:

After awhile I began to wonder if it  was just a bad installation art piece and not a store. 

So much this.

• 1 month later...