Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne F

Chicken of the Woods mushrooms

Thanks to The Princess, I am now in possession of a large box of HUGE chicken of the woods mushrooms (aka sulfur shelf), far more than we can eat at one time. Does anyone have experience with them? I will probably sauté some and serve with tomato sauce tomorrow, but need to do something so I can freeze the rest. Maybe roast them?

TIA

They're pretty mild and tend to dry out in roasting, so if you go that way you'll need to provide some humidity. Better fried or sautéed in my experience.

Better fried or sautéed in my experience.

Totally agree. Butter/OO, shallot, white wine, veal stock, thyme, usual gentle seasoning. Toss with pasta. Incorporate into risotto. Serve over polenta. Over a flan or souffle. Combine in a shellfish saute.

Personally, can't see how you could have too many!

Thanks all. Probably can't pickle, as these are monsters--like, 6 by 6 inches and an inch or so thick. I may oven-braise with oil and mushroom and vegetable stock, otherwise neutral flavoring, in a covered pan. Then freeze for later use. Since some descriptions mentioned that they can cause gastrointestinal distress in some people, I will wait to taste them until my schedule has room to deal with that possibility. :(

A few were just too grungy to clean; they are in the composting. A couple of smallish piece were diced, sautéed with chopped fennel, and added to spaghetti sauce for tonight's dinner (with accordion pasta from Rancho Gordo and meatloaf from the freezer). They are much more for texture than flavor, we discovered. Well, that still has its place in my kitchen. Waiting to see if the little bits bother us. The majority are in the oven in a covered roasting pan with olive oil and veg and mushroom stock. If the bits we ate do not bother us, I will turn off the oven before going to sleep and pack them up for the freezer in the morning. If they do, turn off oven and dump in the composting in the morning.

Final update: we were fine. And we tried eating more of the mushrooms as part of ramen, first simmered in mushroom stock. But we never cottoned to the texture (desk blotter) and the only flavor was of the stock. So they all went to composting.

Just because something is edible, doesn't mean it's worth eating.

Good for you. De gustibus.

I don't know if "freshness" has any effect, but these had been off the tree maybe a week before I got them. In any event, they had no flavor and a texture we did not appreciate. So I cannot imagine that eating one whole, as a steak, would have been a pleasurable proposition.