Fidel Castro

i wonder what my father's wife thinks about all this. she lived in cuba and claims to have dated him before he was officially a dictator. apparently, she has a type. she was also married to a cuban prize fighter after her thing with fidel.

I thought Fidel "dated" every woman in Cuba, one way or another.

one of the perqs of leadership? also, i never said she isn't a big whore

It's a pity he and JFK didn't know how much they had in common.

I thought Fidel "dated" every woman in Cuba, one way or another.

one of the perqs of leadership? also, i never said she isn't a big whore

It's a pity he and JFK didn't know how much they had in common.

they knew some of the same gangsters

I wish we could talk about him here in detail. Over the years my view of him has become much more complicated as I learned more. He wasn't as good as we thought he was. That said, if you read about the discussions in the White House during the Cuban missile crisis you can't help but realize he had the clearest head in the room. Lots of his advisers were pushing him to make decisions that could well have taken us into war. (There are tapes of a lot of those conversations.) He resisted. That took tremendous courage.

And to take this back to Castro, he was enraged that Khrushchev cut a deal with Kennedy. He was all in favor of going to war even though Cuba would have been wiped out. He was a real revolutionary who would choose death over compromise. By contrast Khrushchev and Kennedy were practical politicians.

In one respect, Castro set a fashion tone which remains to this day.

Revolutionary scruffy beard, beret, cigar, AK47, fatigues, lace up boots. Compare that with the chests full of medals and dozens of pressed uniforms for Trujillo, Duvalier, Mugabe, Peron, etc. Even Ortega wears a suit and tie, now.

I wish we could talk about him here in detail. Over the years my view of him has become much more complicated as I learned more. He wasn't as good as we thought he was. That said, if you read about the discussions in the White House during the Cuban missile crisis you can't help but realize he had the clearest head in the room. Lots of his advisers were pushing him to make decisions that could well have taken us into war. (There are tapes of a lot of those conversations.) He resisted. That took tremendous courage.

And to take this back to Castro, he was enraged that Khrushchev cut a deal with Kennedy. He was all in favor of going to war even though Cuba would have been wiped out. He was a real revolutionary who would choose death over compromise. By contrast Khrushchev and Kennedy were practical politicians.

i mostly meant that knowing the same gangsters they knew a lot of the same gangsters' molls. i'm not interested in parsing the politics here and besides we're not allowed to. i will say that the politics are complicated. he both hurt and helped a lot of people. a tremendous global impact for one dude on an island