Suzanne F

Winter 2016-2017

My office is closed tomorrow. As is the management office of the building I live in.

That's the one bad thing about working remotely full time; you never get any snow days off :( But I would still take that over schlepping to LIC from NJ ever day :)

The forecast for NYC is for 12 to 18 inches of snow tomorrow and wind gusts of up to 50MPH. On the high end a few forecasts predict 24 inches. One of my guilty pleasures is stocking up on food before a storm.

This time our shopping was done in 2 stages. On Saturday I bought a 3 pound pork loin and because it was on sale, 2 packages of corned beef. A loaf of one of those Ecce Panis crusty country white loaves. A couple of pepperonis. And about 3 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes. Then today I realized we had no bacon. A quick walk and I returned with 2 pounds and a box of Triscuits.

Earlier I moved my car across from my house and parked it on the left side of the street. NYC plows are angled to the right. As a result snow is piled higher on that side of the street and it's easier to dig out the car if it's parked on the left.

Given the amount of food we have I won't need the car for awhile. I hope we get 3 feet and that it all melts by Saturday.

Blovie made sure to move the car as well for the exact same reason. Have you made sure to stick you windshield wipers up?

I'm sure glad I have a garage for weather like this :) I certainly don't miss moving my car 4 times a week for alternate side of the street parking when I used to live in Brooklyn (although you won't have to worry about moving your car tomorrow).

I'm sure glad I have a garage for weather like this :) I certainly don't miss moving my car 4 times a week for alternate side of the street parking when I used to live in Brooklyn (although you won't have to worry about moving your car tomorrow).

My bet is that alternate side will be suspended at least until Friday. Better yet, in my part of Brooklyn alternate side is only twice a week at all times.

Bloviatrix, I only noticed a few people putting their windshield wipers up in the last few years. It's something new. I've never had any difficulty in digging them out after a snowfall, especially if you run your engine for about 10 minutes. I may be missing something or the effect may vary by car..

For future heavy snowfalls (or even moderate ones), windshield covers are very handy. If large enough, they also keep the windshield wiper jets and that vent thing at the top of the hood free of ice/snow. We got ours at Costco. Only $12 which is practically free in US$.

I've seen home made devices which clip on the door handles, go over the top and clip to the radiator grill. Very helpful for the once or twice a year heavy ice storm.

Never so much publicity for a 4-5 inch snow storm in NYC. Virtually the entire city shut down. We're becoming mooks, except Broadway where every show made their curtain on time last evening.

Now if you live 30-50 miles north or west of the city - that's a snowstorm!!!

We got slammed with about a foot of snow in North Jersey (but nothing like the two feet that was predicted). South Jersey mainly got rain & flooding.

I was in Jersey this morning by 7;45.. I parked in a lot.. I arrived in the lot at 11 o clock the night before the storm.. I gave the guy 10 bucks to even let me in the lot.. After the third lot told me they were all full, i had to get it done... I don't know where I am going to park my car tonight but, it got me to work today.. I may bus home and taxi to Newark Airport tomorrow..

In my part of Brooklyn we got about 6 or 7 inches. I think some of that was caused by the high winds and drifting snow. The thing is, you still have to shovel the drifts so saying "it was only 4 inches" really isn't much consolation.

From about 1:00PM on a little rain mixed with the snow. Not enough to melt it - instead it formed a tough crust on the outside that made my plastic shovel bounce off. I have a one flight external stairway down to the street and I needed to use my ice chipper to loosen the snow up. It helped a lot but it still took me 45 minutes. I had to be careful because the footing was really slick. I was chilled to the bone by the time I was finished.

My car is parked across the street. I had planned to dig it out yesterday but gave up on that. Since I won't need it until the weekend (and may not use it even then) this is going to be a multi day job. That snow has frozen solid. I'll use my ice chipper today to make a start.

Usually a late season snow storm is followed by warm weather which melts the snow quickly. Not this time.

Did you recently say something about me needing to get back quickly? Let's see -- one meal at Chilli's, but beaches, outdoor tennis, etc. vs. cold, snow, etc.

See you next month.

In my part of Brooklyn we got about 6 or 7 inches. I think some of that was caused by the high winds and drifting snow. The thing is, you still have to shovel the drifts so saying "it was only 4 inches" really isn't much consolation.

From about 1:00PM on a little rain mixed with the snow. Not enough to melt it - instead it formed a tough crust on the outside that made my plastic shovel bounce off. I have a one flight external stairway down to the street and I needed to use my ice chipper to loosen the snow up. It helped a lot but it still took me 45 minutes. I had to be careful because the footing was really slick. I was chilled to the bone by the time I was finished.

My car is parked across the street. I had planned to dig it out yesterday but gave up on that. Since I won't need it until the weekend (and may not use it even then) this is going to be a multi day job. That snow has frozen solid. I'll use my ice chipper today to make a start.

Usually a late season snow storm is followed by warm weather which melts the snow quickly. Not this time.

Did you recently say something about me needing to get back quickly? Let's see -- one meal at Chilli's, but beaches, outdoor tennis, etc. vs. cold, snow, etc.

See you next month.

Tales from Beyond, indeed. I'm sitting in 68˚ t-shirt weather on our deck in the Sierra foothills looking out over daffodils, brilliant flowering quince and forsythia, lambs frolicking, a horse grazing. (Oh yeah, and the neighbor's pot farm.)

Instead of the delights of Chili's I was forced to endure a meal at Sahib last Saturday. NYC is a hell town.

Yesterday's snowstorm is only the 3rd significant snowfall this winter - the other 2 melted away after about 2 days. We've had plenty of days in the mid 50s and 4 or 5 where it got into the 60s. It hasn't been a bad winter at all.

My personal idea of hell, and I have many, is to be forced to play tennis every day.