Asian Apple Pears

The CentrePointe Korean Food Shop has these, I've never seen them in London before.

I used to buy them by the box at the Korean grocery in Chicago and now when I go for back to my mom's for holidays my cousin-in-law greets me with a hug and a few of these in her hand!

If you are around the tottenham court end of oxford street, I highly suggest picking up a few. They look like big yellowish apples, have high water content, great crunchy texture, and sweet (a little lemony) juice. Just peel and slice up.

Akiko, do you know what variety they are? I got interested in Nashi (Asian pears) last year after I saw so many varieties at the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market. Just amazing!

Here is an interesting source of information on Asian pears. (Scroll down for links to the different varieties.) From your description, it sounds like yours might be Kosui, one of my favorites.

Cheers,

Squeat

Not sure what variety is in the big boxes sold at Korean stores, but I do know I like Hosui Asian pears, which have kind of a light tan mottled skin. They're even better when perfectly ripe, but good luck getting such a thing, unless you have access to really, really good farmer's market.

Akiko, (missed this post before) shows how much I go into central London these days - could you be more precise as to the location of the Korean shop? You mean under Centre Point? In that row where there is or used to be a modern furniture shop?

v

it sounds like yours might be Kosui, one of my favorites

That looks exactly right Squeat!

Lippy, when I was home for Christmas in Chicago we went to a Korean restaurant that had julienned these and added it to very thin soba noodles dressed in gochujang and mixed sauteed veg (mushrooms, onions, carrot, some daikon) and thin slices of pork. OHHHH so good. The sweetness and light juiciness paired really well with the savory spicyness of the noodles and sauce.

V - you can't miss it. Go to the Centre Pointe building and start walking in a circle around it, it is directly under the building itself.

There's also a dish called Yuke (yook-hay) that I had NY's Eve and many times before, that is julienned strips of partially frozen raw beef tenderloin mixed with strips of Asian pear and a great sauce that I think contains raw egg. Its grrrrrrreat.