Sign in to follow this  
Sneakeater

Otway

Mortadella, snails, crab salad all sound like good ideas, but for the first time there isn't an entree calling me.

It's good that the short menu is always changing.

Nice stuff. The usual temperature control issues of inexperienced places, terrible cod croquettes, but otherwise very nice. Blindingly white crowd.

I forgot about the bunuelos, and ordered them. Mediocre.

Otherwise good enough as usual: anchovy toast, duck with parsnips (was indeed under-temperature), and the only correct cheese service in New York. Huge portion of Tomme de Crayeuse, not mucked about with silly garnishes.

From Eater:

"Chef Claire Welle is out of the kitchen once again. More than a year after turning chic Clinton Hill restaurant Otway into an experimental neighborhood dining destination, Welle has left the project. She did not respond to requests for comment. In a two-star review in January, Eater critic Ryan Sutton commended Welle for her envelope-pushing fare in the tiny restaurant. A representative for the restaurant’s owner Samantha Safer says that Welle left by “mutual decision.” Chef Ian Anderson, an alum of Betony and Miss Ada, is now putting in a new menu."

I noticed something was up on her instagram a week ago.. She is great, I wish her well.

Drat. I had been hoping to add Otway to my 'Why Didn't You Move to Ft Greene You Bloody Idjit?' tour.

The website has no information and there is no availability that I can see on Open Table.