Since a few of us now have subscriptions, I thought it might be worth starting a thread where we can compare notes.

Aptly, this month's package came just as I was finishing the local blend I bought to tide me over after finishing the second of last month's.

Boy, is it different. When you get used to drinking light roasts, heavier roasts -- even medium -- can seem cloying and overdone.

I started with this month's primary offering, the Karogoto from Kenya. Their cupping notes say, "Intense floral & black currants". That seems right to me. It's just remarkable how much more nuanced this is than my stopgap.

• Like 9
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since a few of us now have subscriptions, I thought it might be worth starting a thread where we can compare notes.   Aptly, this month's package came just as I was finishing the local blend I bough

Have you seen this McDonald's ad? I sort of love it.     (I typoed that second sentence as "I sort of live it" at first. That is also a true statement.)

Reminds me of one of my favorite coffee snob stories. Back when stumptown had just started roasting in NYC, the organoleptic taster and I went to check it out.  I order my pourover. Asked if I wa

(A couple of days before purchase.)

Not bad.

In the interest of science, I just purchased a 6-month subscription.

I'm not as much of a fan of super, super light roasts, but am looking forward to trying and comparing this with some of the other coffees I regularly grind and brew.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding this month's second bag -- Bourboncillo from the Caballero family in the Honduras -- surprisingly deep for a light Nordic roast. That's not a bad thing! Very complex as well.

This is from lower down the mountain than this producer's Geisha -- which I would now dearly love to try.

Once again my stopgap coffee -- this month, Toby's Rwanda, an objectively fine, fruity single-origin, just the kind of thing I previously liked -- comes across as cloying after weeks of lightly roasted coffee from Wendelboe.