Sign in to follow this  
Sneakeater

Tim Wendelboe

This is SO much better --- or to put it more neutrally, more to my taste -- than the other coffee I have access to, I can't complain.

I dunno; giving up on Wendelboe a number of months ago (pre-pandemic) because of inventory/delivery issues, the subscription service to Counter Culture has not let me down, and it's supplemented with some very excellent coffees from George Howell (especially their limited roasts), where free shipping kicks in at $50 orders.

The Wendelboe shipping issues are now absurd - but I won't give up.

I ordered some stuff from a Roaster in Montana (Revel) basically because I recently learned the Kool Kidz are starting to play with process - and these were anaerobically fermented.  Frankly, my professional organleptic tester tasted both the Kool Kidz stuff and a Sidamo from George Howell blind, and much preferred the Howell. 

I can believe it, but there are preferences that such a taster should not hold or develop. 

International shipping is just insane right now. I won't be surprised to see various proxy services in Asia go under because they promised prices based on EMS style services and now have to use FedEx and can't auto-clear customs on any food or drugs.

And such small portions?

Re: taster preferences and playing with process.  When we were in Chicago this past November, we went to a Kool Kidz Koffee place, where they were playing with process.  Like pour over being poured over at a much lower temperature than usual. Then the barista told me he was also playing around with changing the grind for pour overs and presses; I didn't quite roll my eyes, but I sure wished I had gotten my coffee without engaging the guy.

Reminds me of one of my favorite coffee snob stories.

Back when stumptown had just started roasting in NYC, the organoleptic taster and I went to check it out.  I order my pourover. Asked if I want milk, no. Overly earnest barista congratulates me on my choice and says something about how they appreciate people who want to really taste the coffee.

Mrs. AB orders.  Milk please.

• Like 2