• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If there is already a Trader Joe's thread here, someone please delete/merge.   So, what have you found, made with something from there or can't get there any more?   Tonight we had some sauteed tu

Better than another Victoria's Secret.

I got hooked on the truffle butter blend, but now it's gone--at least from my TJ's.

I haven't been impressed with the items they put out for tasting until day before yesterday, when they sprinkled some French fries with "South African Smoke," a blend of red pepper flakes, sea salt, garlic and basil in a clear grinder bottle. There is no mention of "smoke flavoring" on the label,so it may very well be that the peppers were actually smoked. What this has to do with South African I don't know.

Lippy, at which branch did you taste these fries? They didn't have this seasoning at the TJ's in Chelsea.

That's where I tasted them. Don't tell me they've discontinued it, just as I've discovered it! The jars were above the regular spice rack.

FWIW, the real Trader Joe himself picks some wines for Cost Plus World Imports. Some picks are not bad at all.

Which member of the Albrecht family is that?

he means the guy the albrechts bought the chain from joe coulombe

I haven't been impressed with the items they put out for tasting until day before yesterday, when they sprinkled some French fries with "South African Smoke," a blend of red pepper flakes, sea salt, garlic and basil in a clear grinder bottle. There is no mention of "smoke flavoring" on the label,so it may very well be that the peppers were actually smoked. What this has to do with South African I don't know.

Lippy, at which branch did you taste these fries? They didn't have this seasoning at the TJ's in Chelsea.

That's where I tasted them. Don't tell me they've discontinued it, just as I've discovered it! The jars were above the regular spice rack.

I'll double-check the next time I'm there. Maybe I overlooked it.

• 1 month later...

...which means I'll finally have to read this thread from the beginning.

Well, without reading this thread from the beginning here's my take on TJs...

----

I'm sort of mixed on shopping at TJs.

I like:

The selection of most stuff. They don't need to carry 10 different varieties/sizes of <good/bad> mayonnaise because they have their one label. This means they have 1 foot of shelf space dedicated to the product rather than 12 feet. This business model makes room for a wide variety of products in a small amount of space.

Whole wheat pizza dough; it's great in a pinch even if it can't be made into whole wheat bread.

Chocolate varieties.

Cheese selection is ample.

Individual snack items like cookies, chocolates, etc. and they make great bribes/motivators at work.

French Roast Coffee... we've been buying that for 10 years. Nothing else comes close.

Their little 8 oz balsamic vinegar is awesome when reduced by half. It rivals any 25-year-old balsamic I've tried. To reduce it by half: pour it into a sauce pan and heat it just enough to get a whisper of a steam above the surface, like the steam rising above a lake on a frosty October morning. Watch it so it doesn't even come close to a simmer as a simmer/boil creates a burnt taste to it. It takes about 2 hours to reduce in half.

I don't like:

They discontinued the veggie stock in those little green packets. They still have turkey and chicken, but the veggie was a great secret ingredient for my stocks.

They don't carry lemon juice in a squeeze bottle; while I prefer it fresh sometimes a squeeze from a bottle is faster. <that's what she said>

Their Dijon mustard is grainy and sucks.

Their one-pound hamburger package has 5 (five) countries of origin. WTF? Try tracing the source of e-coli through the US, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, and Australia. I'll never buy that hamburger.

How can they sell a 9-11 oz dinner for $2.99? What is the country of origin on this food? It can't be from products grown/packaged in the US at that price. What country is putting this product together at this fantastic price?

The sodium in their dinners is beyond acceptable when a 10 oz package shows the servings as 2 or 2.5. How can one small package be divided into two smaller servings that wouldn't feed a 2-year-old child? If you eat the entire package <most likely scenario> you're consuming 2,000+ mgms of sodium in one non-filling meal. You're likely to go and eat something else very soon and shoot your blood pressure through the sodium roof.

• 4 weeks later...

On impulse, I bought a bag of TJ's frozen "rustica" carrots- basically, carrot leftovers, peeled and cut into random shapes. Sort of a silly thing, but I roasted them and served them to the 4-year old, calling them "carrot fries." And she ate them. Which means that her vegetable repertoire now consists of corn, frozen peas (still frozen), sweet potatoes, and, yep, "carrot fries." Guess I'd better stock up.

On impulse, I bought a bag of TJ's frozen "rustica" carrots- basically, carrot leftovers, peeled and cut into random shapes. Sort of a silly thing, but I roasted them and served them to the 4-year old, calling them "carrot fries." And she ate them. Which means that her vegetable repertoire now consists of corn, frozen peas (still frozen), sweet potatoes, and, yep, "carrot fries." Guess I'd better stock up.

i have some beachfront property in kansas that she might like to buy

i have some beachfront property in kansas that she might like to buy

do you accept payment in stickers?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who makes Trader Joe's Pound Plus chocolate? Their website says "Our supplier is a well-known artisan confectioner in a small-town just outside of Antwerp, Belgium". I had always assumed it was lower-quality Callebaut, but the Barry-Callebaut plant in Belgium is closer to Brussels than Antwerp. Del Rey is in Antwerp, but they don't produce couverture, do they? It could also be Guylain. They're well known, and comparatively inexpensive enough to produce the type of chocolate sold as Pound Plus bars.

Any ideas?

No idea on the chocolate, but I went today and bought all sorts of stuff I shouldn't have bought. Kettle Corn Cookies--I like them! White Chocolate/Peppermint covered pretzel slims--pretty good. Eggnog coated almonds--yum. Something with a funny name that I can't think of and don't want to go downstairs--it's like peanut butter only it isn't--it's made from cookies and has spices in it. Specka-something? Addictive stuff!

Tasted some of everything and will take all the rest to my sister's for Christmas so we aren't tempted. I'll let her get fat! Tee Hee!!