cheese in london

we'll probably be at borough market next monday and if so i'll try my best to stop by neal's yard.

by the way, paxton & whitfield also very patiently let you try as much as you want before you purchase. the stichelton was the only one that i bought without tasting today, and without asking for an opinion of the cheesemongers--this because of the talk about it on this thread. it's still very good, i should say--but not in the ballpark of last week's regular stilton and shropshire blue.

it's probably foolish of me but i'm hellbent on just eating as much good british cheese as i can while we're here. it seems unlikely we'll run out of options in another 10 weeks considering i'm buying five a week.

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd say Lower Manhattan begins at Houston Street. But would accept Canal Street as an alternative.

shropshire blue at 2 o'clock and clockwise from there: wigmore, stilton, windrush and old winchester.   i had the old winchester and the stilton at the top, followed closely by the shropshire blue.

we'll probably be at borough market next monday and if so i'll try my best to stop by neal's yard.   by the way, paxton & whitfield also very patiently let you try as much as you want before you

I'm glad P&W also let you try their cheese.

We travel regularly to London to visit my in-laws and have had Stichelton with Port at Christmas since the time it started being made. Last year, though, we bought our Stichelton at La Fromagerie and the cheese looked like yours. We've found that a piece from a good wheel is typically a lot more flavorsome than Colston Bassett Stilton.

At La Fromagerie, I strongly recommend the Salers and the Rove de Garrigues. There are many other outstanding, tiny-production farmhouse cheeses, too. Salers is historically influenced by British cheesemaking so might be a fun companion for your British cheeses. I love British cheese but, perhaps because I'm a Francophile, French cheese is my favorite.

crozier blue and single gloucester have both been added to the list. when i get back to london next week i'll probably get a range of british blue cheeses from neal's yard dairy. they have the crozier blue. single gloucester the week after.

in the meantime, here's more on the cheeses i purchased from paxton & winfield. this time with actual notes on the cheeses (annoyingly, in the slideshow captions) and with some preliminary notes on whisky pairings.

shropshire-blue1.jpg?

Not what they were. Ground floor is lots of packets of tea for people to buy as souvenirs. Downstairs has an interesting wine selection and a bar where you can drink a bottle you bought quite cheaply. The rest of the store is hats and handbags and expensive leather backgammon sets etc.

Good chocolates on the ground floor. Ok meat counter downstairs with good game in season, some fancy beef options.

I think Selfridges is actually best at the moment of the food halls in department stores. But you get the cute uniforms at F & M.

Selfridge's is great, but I was at Fortnum's in 2015 and was still entranced. I recall lots of food, and of course I worship pies. In any case, as it's about ten paces from Paxton's, Mongo should take a look. The butler-like service alone is worth experiencing, if only out of cultural curiosity.