GG that's a nice basket.

My grocery store offers a choice of large white sturdy paper ones that have handles, or standard cheapo grocery plastic bags. During Peach-o-Rama, they have pretty pictures of peaches on them....they are the nice, as far as grocery store sacks go. I use the paper sacks for recycling paper and plastics, and the plastic ones for my garbage.

Hopefully they won't start charging.

Plastic grocery bags can go in recycling, but have to be stuffed into 1 bag.

I have a very nice Tunisian basket which is similar.  I used to use it all the time when I was prancing around the Gramercy Park/Flatiron area to shop.  It doesn't feel quite as appropriate around the East Village.

Get a black one.

Yeah, with some rips and chains. I thought of that.

I use a insulated Sam's Club bag that I got for under $5...it became a habit in the summer, when I wanted to be able to run an errand or two between running home with groceries, and I've continued it as the seasons changed. It can hold a few gallons of juice or milk, coldcuts, a few chickens or meats, yogurts, cream cheese, etc. About 2-3 bags worth, i'd say. I also have plastic bins in the cargo area of my SUV, various sizes, and so I won't bag sodas, gatorades and juices..but rather put them right in the bins. However, I usually need to repeat a few times, if there is a bagger other than myself, that I don't want it bagged.

I get a lot of use out of the plastic bags, though, especially in bathroom and bedroom wastebaskets...nothing fits as well. Plus litter cleaning and poop patrol duty...'nuff said.

I use a bag similar to Tana's for the greenmarket. Only mine is from the Riverside-Goddard Book sale. My husband teases me that I'm such a stereotypical Upper West Sider.

I have to admit that I like the bags they use at Fairway (74th st, the ones at the Harlem branch are different). They're nice hefty plastic and make excellent liners for the trash can. And the paper insert is good for paper recyclables.

I actually think this is a great idea. In S. Korea, everyone brings their own shopping bag to the market because shopping bags there, IIRC, are like $1 each. Of course they are a bit sturdier than the cheapo ones at the Albertson's.

I think it would be good way to cut down on waste, but still keeps options open for bag forgetters.

I have a really old Land's End tote that I use. Looks like hell, but it does the job.

I use canvas bags. When in VT, they hang by the door. About 4 months ago I discussed the idea of charging for grocery bags with G... I am glad to see this.

The Lebanon Co-Op makes the best plastic bags, which I use(d) for wastepaper baskets. I do a lot of recylcing (practically mandatory in VT) and those bags work well for collecting the recycables before I take them out to the bin.

Ok, folks, seriously now. This is absurd. I have made it no secret that I spent a chunk of my life behind the Iron Curtain back in the days -- I mean, come on, give me a break. Regular Soviet grocery stores had no bags. You brought your own. As you left your one-room apartment, you grabbed either some kludgy vinyl sack or the ubiquitous avos'ka (a clever string net bag that you can shove in a pocket and which can expand to hold as much as two plastic shopping bags). Supermarkets that supply bags for you are a luxury born of arrogant imperialistic plenty. The Soviets couldn't afford a luxury like that because they sunk all surplus cash into the arms race and vodka. Here in America, we have enough to sustain a powerful military, get drunk whenever we want, and STILL supply a goddam bag at the supermarket. For fuck's sake, enjoy it!