The New York Bagel: Searching for the Best

In my continuing endeavor to find a reasonably good bagel, I made it here yesterday...

33097005181_34e2e9684e_z.jpg

While they're still not, I don't know, my Proustian ideal, the 2 that I've tried have been quite good. Too large, of course, but a nice crust and good, not too sweet crumb. I did, while I was there, get one (pump) with cream cheese to eat in the car, and they're really good fresh. This morning's toasted was not as wonderful.

Next up, per splinky's recommend, Utopia Bagels. And I think there's one on Queens Blvd., maybe in Kew Gardens?

oasis bagels didn't used to be too large. i think so many people wanting bagel sandwiches has changed the fundamental nature of bagels. i remember enjoying hot plain or egg bagels with nothing at all on them. i miss bagels

As mentioned above, made it here today:

32875272133_79ff8e0fa4.jpg

Utopia has probably around for a while, as a friend who grew up in Bayside also recommended it to me.

Doing the right thing:

32875272003_7f2945b19e.jpg

My test bagel:

33532198202_dcfc8c6c47.jpg

I wanted to compare it directly with the pumpernickel with veg cream cheese I'd had at Oasis; I liked this one even more, and it's sized more properly. They're better than Bagel Holes' bagels. Better than some other joint I schlepped to in deep Brooklyn. Better than R&D. And better, in a NY bagel way, than Mile Ends' bagels, even though I realize Mile Ends' bagels are not NY style.

As my freezer is fairly stuffed, I brought home a dozen minis, including mini bialys!

The kicker - full-sized bagels are 90¢; minis 45¢.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm partial to Absolute on Broadway between 107th/108th (everything, pumpernickel, or egg)

I think the Bagel Hole bagels are less consistent than they used to be. Now, they're often too big and not as well-cooked.

Bagel Hole's were definitely slightly relatively smaller in the past:  

Posted Images

In my continuing endeavor to find a reasonably good bagel, I made it here yesterday...

33097005181_34e2e9684e_z.jpg

While they're still not, I don't know, my Proustian ideal, the 2 that I've tried have been quite good. Too large, of course, but a nice crust and good, not too sweet crumb. I did, while I was there, get one (pump) with cream cheese to eat in the car, and they're really good fresh. This morning's toasted was not as wonderful.

Next up, per splinky's recommend, Utopia Bagels. And I think there's one on Queens Blvd., maybe in Kew Gardens?

oasis bagels didn't used to be too large. i think so many people wanting bagel sandwiches has changed the fundamental nature of bagels. i remember enjoying hot plain or egg bagels with nothing at all on them. i miss bagels

As mentioned above, made it here today:

32875272133_79ff8e0fa4.jpg

Utopia has probably around for a while, as a friend who grew up in Bayside also recommended it to me.

Doing the right thing:

32875272003_7f2945b19e.jpg

My test bagel:

33532198202_dcfc8c6c47.jpg

I wanted to compare it directly with the pumpernickel with veg cream cheese I'd had at Oasis; I liked this one even more, and it's sized more properly. They're better than Bagel Holes' bagels. Better than some other joint I schlepped to in deep Brooklyn. Better than R&D. And better, in a NY bagel way, than Mile Ends' bagels, even though I realize Mile Ends' bagels are not NY style.

As my freezer is fairly stuffed, I brought home a dozen minis, including mini bialys!

The kicker - full-sized bagels are 90¢; minis 45¢.

told ya

I'm partial to Absolute on Broadway between 107th/108th (everything, pumpernickel, or egg)

An old standby for sure.

I'm not a big everything bagel fan, probably even less of an egg bagel fan, but pump or sesame, or poppy...

• 8 months later...

One of, if not the main one, problems with bagels these days, is their size.

As someone mentioned in another thread, he thought the crust and chewiness were right on the Utopia Bagels, but that they lacked flavor.

I think the reason for that is that the ratio of crust to crumb is all off. Too much crumb, not enough crust.

I have taken to, when eating a bagel at home, getting rid of some of the crumb (i.e. scooping it out), and upping the ratio of crust. I find it adds to the enjoyment, as well as adding to the flavor.

Also, eating a bagel the next day does nothing to add to it in any way. And they pretty much have to be toasted by that point.

But that pumpernickel bagel I posted a picture of above, freshly baked, with a nice load of cream cheese, was delicious.

I have taken to, when eating a bagel at home, getting rid of some of the crumb (i.e. scooping it out), and upping the ratio of crust. I find it adds to the enjoyment, as well as adding to the flavor.

Maybe you'd be interested in going into business with these guys. I know one of them - his daughter and I went to school together.

http://www.google.pn/patents/US6165527

• 1 month later...