Jump to content

The New York Bagel: Searching for the Best


Recommended Posts

best bagels in New York is when someone from NJ brings bagels into the state.. Jersey really has the bagel thing sewn up tight..

Yup. If you ever drive out of NYC over the bridge check out Teaneck road hot bagels, a block off route 4.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 years later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm partial to Absolute on Broadway between 107th/108th (everything, pumpernickel, or egg)

I think the Bagel Hole bagels are less consistent than they used to be. Now, they're often too big and not as well-cooked.

Bagel Hole's were definitely slightly relatively smaller in the past:  

Posted Images

If a bagel doesn't have a hole, is it still a bagel? 

I ask because there is a bagel place which is claiming it has real New York style bagels, but they look like buns (because they gave no hole) with a bagel-like exterior. One guy is claiming to know everything about New York bagels, and he says New York bagels are all about the crust and the chew, so these are excellent examples of New York style bagels in terms of the crust and the chew.  

My only experience with a bagel in New York was a bagel from the hotel we stayed at, which probably wasn't the best example.  

This week's flavours (already sold out) were sesame sea salt, everything seasoning, chocolate chip, and cacio e pepe. Yes, that's right. Would those last two flavours alone exclude them from being "real" NY bagels?

https://www.saltandsunshinebagels.ca/bagel-shop

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably all four flavors would exclude them, but I'll give a pass to the flavor of sesame/sea salt.

The reason for the holes is obvious...

image.png.29a84dca716951ac4edf819b082539e4.png

Well that, and you get more crust with the hole, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, prasantrin said:

If a bagel doesn't have a hole, is it still a bagel? 

No.

8 hours ago, prasantrin said:

Would those last two flavours alone exclude them from being "real" NY bagels?

Yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly certain the bagel place I grew up with has had everything bagels as far as I can remember, so I'm ok with them. Cinnamon raisin definitely since regular was 20c and CR was 30c, also ok. Interestingly given the town it was kosher so the idea of meat on a bagel has always been foreign to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I have to find some salt beef to try with some bagels, although likely not these particular bagels. They serve with dairy, although not cream cheese, but whipped browned butter. I think I would use both cream cheese and butter. You don't get a body like this by saying no to fatty foods.     

I might still try them if I can justify the high price. If they make poppy seed, that may just convince me to buy them. Might be good as a burger bun. 

Haven't decided if I will break it to the reddit crowd that they are not NY bagels since a number of New Yorkers said so. I might end up getting banned or something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tubbs said:

I'm fairly certain the bagel place I grew up with has had everything bagels as far as I can remember, so I'm ok with them. Cinnamon raisin definitely since regular was 20c and CR was 30c, also ok. Interestingly given the town it was kosher so the idea of meat on a bagel has always been foreign to me. 

I don't know if we're from the same era, but I'm pretty certain I never saw everything bagels as a kid. Cinnamon raisin definitely existed, but that was the only flavor not out of the canon of affliction. Poppy, onion, sesame, salt, plain were the mainstays, if I remember correctly. (Pumpernickel perhaps?).

I don't remember the pricing back then, but around the corner where we lived in Forest Hills, there was a kosher butcher, a kosher bakery, a "candy store" as it was called back then (with great egg creams and that thing on the counter which held pretzel rods) and lots of newspapers and magazines, a Key Foods, a drugstore, and maybe even a bar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I don't know if we're from the same era, but I'm pretty certain I never saw everything bagels as a kid. Cinnamon raisin definitely existed, but that was the only flavor not out of the canon of affliction. Poppy, onion, sesame, salt, plain were the mainstays, if I remember correctly. (Pumpernickel perhaps?).

I don't remember the pricing back then, but around the corner where we lived in Forest Hills, there was a kosher butcher, a kosher bakery, a "candy store" as it was called back then (with great egg creams and that thing on the counter which held pretzel rods) and lots of newspapers and magazines, a Key Foods, a drugstore, and maybe even a bar.

that is such a weird part of forest hills. i have never not gotten lost walking around there

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, splinky said:

that is such a weird part of forest hills. i have never not gotten lost walking around there

Yeah, and it's got that old, unused spur of the LIRR (I think it went to the Rockaways). We played on the tracks as kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2021 at 4:00 PM, Anthony Bonner said:

Its vaguely interesting to me that in NYC (and Montreal I think?) Bagels are traditionally eaten with Dairy, while in London the traditional places serve them with salt beef. Or least the high profile places.

I ate beigels in London, and I ate plenty of salt beef sandwiches, but I don't recall ever eating salt beef on a bagel. I am trying to remember what we did eat on beigels: it was a long time ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...