Single Malts for Burns Night

Sales of ordinary Scotch have been flat or declining for years, but the high end of the whisky business is booming.

The single-malt category has grown at an average annual rate of nearly 10 percent since the early 1990s, according to the market research firm Datamonitor. Last year, single-malt revenues expanded by 13.5 percent.

In fact, the popularity of single malts is rising so quickly around the world that liquor companies large and small are rushing to meet demand.

They're releasing new versions of classic brands, such as whisky drawn from different kinds of casks or older bottlings (e.g., offering a 15-year old Scotch in addition to a 12-year old). They're also expanding distribution of smaller brands that formerly were available only in Scotland.

Best of all, they're reopening distilleries that went out of business years ago. From Edinburgh to the Hebrides, the whisky industry is being reborn.

The full CNN The Good Life article can be found here.

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The full CNN The Good Life article can be found here.       Cheers!

Aye, lassie, what's wrong wi' ye? Is it the oul' troubles agin?   Fly

A drunk academic. What an unusual concept. (Not that I'm implying anything.)

Posted Images

One can barely find Lagavulin in the liquor stores near here and then it is a ridiculous price. So the boy and I will be havin' a wee dram of Laphroaig tonight to celebrate Robbie Burns (and our 14th wedding anniversary).

Flyfish

I have a brand new bottle of the Laphroaig 15 yo that I'll be toasting Robbie with tonight!

A joke I like:

After World War II, Queen Elizabeth was being shown around an Edinburgh hospital by its administrators. Towards the end of her visit, she was shown into a ward of people exhibiting no obvious signs of injury. She greeted the first patient and the chap replied:

"Fair fa' your honest sonsie face,

Great chieftain e' the puddin' race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place,

Painch, tripe, or thairm,

Weel are ye Wordy o'a grace,

As lang's my arm."

Somewhat taken aback, her Highness moved on to the next patient, again greeting him with a smile and hello. This patient replied:

"Some hae meat, and canna eat,

And some eat that want it,

But we hae meat and we can eat,

And sae the Lord be thankit."

As the Queen was led towards the third patient, that patient began rattling off as follows:

"Wee sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,

O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,

Wi bickering brattle!"

Queen Elizabeth turned to the doctors accompanying her and whispered, "I say, what sort of ward is this, a psychiatric ward?"

"Nae, your Majesty" replied one of the doctors, "it's the serious Burns unit."

6 year old Ardbeg.

I'm such a pushover for a scottish burr. Makes me weak at the knees.

This soon changes when the accent is attached to "I'm afraid sir you will have to wait 6 months for a Switch Card" and "It wis'nee me" etc. On the other hand girls from Orkney sound sexy though. Lots of variation in Scottish accents.

Guest Adam Lawrence

I like the sound of Scots Gaelic speakers when they speak English. It's not a sexual thing (:lol:), but John Morrison, the BBC Scotland political editor, has a beautiful voice.