Rail Paul

Coney Island: Feltman's vs Nathan's hot dogs

Katz's is sourcing from one of the major hot dog makers. Can't remember which one. So there's nothing truly exclusive about the product. I know I've bought a hot dog at Katz's for someone not into pastrami.

I'm sure they're fine.

Websites regularly publish Best lists. They know they generate lots of clicks and they're right. I fall for those things every time. I know I'm being manipulated but I can't help myself - I feel ashamed.

I may have had the knoblewurst at Katz's, enticed by the promise of garlic and the look--extra large diameter, like what we used to call "specials" iirc. I'm sure it was fine. But that's different from a hot dog, and yes, that's not why I go to Katz's.

ETA: I can't believe TONY rated Crif so highly. Those are among the least-flavored hot dogs I've ever had; they are nothing without the toppings.

I should make a pilgrimage based on this dozen-year-old NYT story on common Sabrett sourcing, now that the list is a little shorter.

Williamsburg's Sparky's died in embryo and ancient Artie's just a few months ago, though I can't believe Old Homestead is still in business.

ETA: I can't believe TONY rated Crif so highly. Those are among the least-flavored hot dogs I've ever had; they are nothing without the toppings.

Or with them. A friend forwarded me this special debuting on "National Hot Dog Day," of course:

"The Crif-Meister is a Bacon Wrapped, Deep Fried Crif Dog, drizzled with Jägermeister Simple Syrup (1 Quart of Water, 1 Cup Brown Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch, 2 Teaspoons Nutmeg, ¼ cup Jägermeister), topped with Caramelized Onions, Pulled Pork, and Crif’s house-made Cole Slaw. As you can probably guess, this hot dog is absolutely to die for."

I’m glad you went. It is an iconic destination and won’t be there, as you say, forever. I would have recommended Deno’s Wonder Wheel for those who can handle heights. I just get my clams at Nathan’s, along with the hot dogs.

you know, i think the fried clams may have been from nathan's. the ones on the half shell were definitely from paul's daughter.

While the Wonder Wheel is quite an attraction, I always preferred

LeQfTHd.jpg?1

And weirdly (or maybe not so much), I really like Coney in the winter.