• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but Lachlan has been nominated by the James Beard Foundation in the category of Rising Star Chef of the Year category. According to Bobby this is only the second time that someone out of Colorado has been nominated in any of the national James Beard categories. Points (no searching the internet!) if you guess the other Colorado nominee and the year and category in which that person was nominated.

We had a fabulous dinner last night. The food shines and there were some new dishes, but it is the service that puts me over the moon every time. And who wouldn't want to work their hardest for Bobby, Lach and Dannette? Staff is going back to Italy again this summer and in the interim, Italy trips are planned for Nate and Matt (now officially another sommelier) and Danen and Matt are both studying for their advanced sommelier exams -- a five day affair that starts one on the road to MS status.

Every time you think you're out, they draw you back in . .

Sorry, Matt, I swear your post wasn't there a minute ago!@

Sorry, Matt, I swear your post wasn't there a minute ago!@

It's possible it wasn't. I think the DB rebuild or something only occurs when someone posts on an old thread.

This past Monday night rlm, her imaginary husband and I introduced a frasca virgin to the joys within. We had an absolutely super time- sat at the bar in Danon's capable hands, all of us did the "split" of the courses, so we got half orders of everything.

The courses just kept on coming, and rlm went googly over a crab cake made with the heirloom polenta (which we paired with a Vie di Romans Tocai Friulano 2004- only domestically available at frasca and Mario Batalli's Babbo- this wine rocked my world when I tasted it on Saturday, and I insisted that we order it with the apps, it's much more complex than the Anselmi they use for the tajuts, and when it came to the crab cake rlm went into a strange orgasmic trance)

I didn't take notes or grab a menu, but we had a great time, maybe my favorite ever frasc-ing. I love the Monday dinners.

I didn't take notes or grab a menu, but we had a great time, maybe my favorite ever frasc-ing. I love the Monday dinners.

I need jaymes to come back to Colorado so I have an excuse to go to a Frasca Monday dinner again...

I need jaymes to come back to Colorado so I have an excuse to go to a Frasca Monday dinner again...

Oh, so we're not good enough, Matt? :P

You have to try to score a seat next Monday since CheeseMonger is presenting the cheese course (it's Trimbach wine night!). We will be there to heckle her (at a table even or we'd suggest lining up @ the bar).

Ahhh...Reading this brought back memories of the "VDR" with the crab cake. Definitely a top 5 Frasca moment. Our Frasca virgin was pleased about his first time (although he had performance anxiety).

If you didn't make it for the Trimbach wine dinner last night, shame on you. If you did, you know that Hubert Trimbach himself was there and is a sweetheart. They poured all the 2000-vintage wines at once this time so it was a true flight rather than a course-by-course pairing (except for the sweeter "Hommage a Jeanne" Pinot Gris that was poured specifically with the cheese course). Hubert said the Riesling is his "intellectual" favorite (this wasn't the yellow bottle that you typically see but the Cuvee Frederic Emile). I didn't think the Gewurztraminer (Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre) went with any of the food that well, but the Reserve Personelle Pinot Gris did.

When she wasn't sipping water (mm-hmm) at our table, our own CheeseMonger was going from table to table educating diners on the artisan cheeses (Chaource--triple creme Brie from Champagne--and Munster Gerome--one of the only Alsatian cheeses available...Did I get these right, Cheesy?). The fromage was served with a coleslaw with caraway seeds (it was not the hotter coleslaw that's usually on the salumi menu). We had "splits" of the whole menu and loved everything, especially this incarnation of the Gnocchi that popped up (listed as Russet Potato Gnocchi with Creamed Spinach Leaf and Ricotta Salata...It was so creamy and cheesy and left me wanting more). The buttery green lentils were surprisingly scrumptious (served with asparagus and "50 Year Old Gran Capirete Sherry Vinegar"). Other stuff to die for: Speck Brodo with Yukon Gold Potatoes and Sorrel and the infamous Long Family Farm Pork Belly (with those lovely roasted beets and pickled horseradish).

I think the cheese courses on Mondays might be a monthly thing now, so you all may have plenty of other opportunities to heckle CheeseMonger in the future.

Yep, I was presenting the cheese plate, and indeed, the rlms heckled me. When I had to work a table near them, I had to turn my back to them, because they were doing "the wave", and whoo-hooing me- not too loudly, but loud enough for *me* to hear, which made me crack up. I was, however, happy that the rlms were 2 people at a 4 top, so in between speils I could sit with them a bit, since there isn't really a lot of "standing room", and I was wearing heels, uncharacteristically.

It was really, really fun, and hopefully I met lots of future customers!

(and I learned some frasca secrets, but I can't share under penalty of death, aka, ostracism, which would be worse than death)

We weren't that bad, really. We had to behave ourselves since we were at the "grown ups' table." We had to give the CheeseMonger some support though. We did the wave once early on but no-one joined in (heathens).

The stars were in our favor: I called at about 6:30 on Monday to find out if we had a chance of getting a table after we drove up from DTC. Sure, they said. So up we went (very easy drive), and got seated immediately. Even before we mentioned the magic names (you know who you are :( ) we were treated just as we had been told we would be: warmly welcomed by a server who explained everything and offered ways for me to sample all the wines and still be able to drive back. :( The whole experience of food, wine, and service was stellar. And at the Monday price, a gigantic bargain. :(

We started with the olives and nuts. Paul ordered a half-pour of a Tocai Friuliano -- and they gave me one, too. (And "gave" turned out to be the right verb.)

Then we ordered everything on that night's prix fixe menu: Lobster soup and Spinach Salad with housemade ricotta for starters; Sweet onion agnolotti with honshimeji mushrooms in brown butter and Pork belly canederli (actually little bread dumplings with the meat mixed through) with savoy cabbage (and celery root) as mains. Dustin (the server) explained every dish precisely -- even to the point of warning us that there was no lobster in the soup (only stock made from shells). We also ordered one flight of the wine pairing: Villa Creek, from Paso Robles, CA -- and here, too, they poured tastes for me as well. The winemaker introduced himself and told us a bit about the wines and the vineyard. I especially liked their 2004 "Avenger" -- a syrah/cabernet/something else(?) blend.

And the food? Oh, man. Everything was so full of flavor, and the portions were just right, so that we were satisfied without being stuffed. I imagine Mondays are the time they try out new dishes, or use the last of whatever they had in for the previous week. If that's the case, their skill certainly spins gold out of whatever little bits they have to work with. And, of course, they make sure to bring in top-quality ingredients -- the spinach was just about the sweetest I've ever had. I felt bad we didn't order a cheese plate, but Paul had already had plenty of wine (including much of mine, since I was nervous about driving after drinking at high altitude). And anyway, the dessert (coconut-chocolate gelato with banana mousse) turned out to be much better than expected (bananas are not our favorite ingredient, but in this case they behaved very politely). Excellent coffee, too. (Even Paul noticed that the butter with the excellent bread was especially delicious.)

Bobby Stuckey came over and introduced himself, and I was able to let him know that our friends were spot on when they recommended the place. Thank you, guys!

Tucker tells other restaurants to step up to the challenge today:

Frasca need not be the state's only "best restaurant"

Thanks for the link! The article is very interesting and I completely agree with Tucker... If only Denver restaurants would take the extra step... or few in some cases.

Suzanne, thanks for the review! Sounds great and I can't wait to go for myself :(