Why would they pick a name/concept so close to one that is already nationally recognized? Aren’t there rules about these kinds of things? I’ve heard of businesses suing others because their names are too similar.

Depends on where the biz is registered and how likely it is to impact the "first" business. For instance, Jeep tried to force a bar in WY to change it's name from "Jeep's", but the bar pre-dated the car, and it was unsuccesful. Also, it was someone's name, not a play on the vehicle, and the court found that no confusion would be likely to exist between them.

I imagine that since frasca is a Colorado business, it would be hard to prove that there would be confusion between restaurants 2000 miles apart. I find it hard to believe, however, that the Chicago restaurant didn't steal the concept. A simple web search would have turned up *our* frasca...

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting . .I will have Mr. H (he of copyright, trademark lawyerly fame) opine.

BTW, rlm, Saturday night was the rehearsal dinner for Lach and Alison's wedding. They were closed Friday night as well for another private party, but i don't know what the event was.

They have new pearl sized gnocchi that are very delicious. And all the crudo are fabulous.

We also loved the pearl-size gnocchi, although the combination of spanish mackerel crudo, lemon, herbs, broadbeans and speck with the gnocchi is what wowed us.

An unrelated rehearsal dinner was the Friday night event. We were speculating on what one would need to cough up to entice Bobby and Lachlan to close on a friday night?

An unrelated rehearsal dinner was the Friday night event. We were speculating on what one would need to cough up to entice Bobby and Lachlan to close on a friday night?

From this, perhaps Lachlan himself getting married made it worth the while. From the description, sounds like a sitcom wedding with some real tragedy. Hope all are good.

It's actually Danan (not Damon) that passed away. He started behind the bar after Nick left. CheeseMonger and I found out about his accident yesterday at lunch in Denver, and I tried to get PMs out to everybody on here that might know him, but I guess I missed you, Matt (sorry). We will really miss Danan. He was also working towards his MS and had grown so much in his confidence and knowledge. It's not fair to see someone so young with so much promise have their life snuffed out.

Edited to correct brain freeze - He was actually behind the bar with Nick some (including the night of the Great Meatball Experiment, I believe), but was back there more frequently with Steve after Nick left.

Edited by rlm

very sad news indeed about danan.

is lachlan off on his honeymoon?

No, we chatted with him last night at the restaurant. They have the Aspen Food and Wine Classic and the Telluride Wine Festival this month plus a few guest chef nights such as Suzanne Goin followed by their annual trip to Italy in July.

No, we chatted with him last night at the restaurant. They have the Aspen Food and Wine Classic and the Telluride Wine Festival this month plus a few guest chef nights such as Suzanne Goin followed by their annual trip to Italy in July.

The more important question is whether he's preparing for TheMatt's birthday celebration extravaganza. Or, if you are wont to call it, dinner at 6:00.

The more important question is whether he's preparing for TheMatt's birthday celebration extravaganza. Or, if you are wont to call it, dinner at 6:00.

Yes, Lachlan actually said he couldn't go on his honeymoon because he wanted to cook for this guy named Matt this month (mm-hmm). :(

Since you'll be there right before the 2-week closure, I wonder if they'll be cleaning out the walk-in at that point?

Oh, and Happy Birthday! Hopefully they'll get their Peanut Butter Cup-making thing fixed before your momentous occasion.

Yes, Lachlan actually said he couldn't go on his honeymoon because he wanted to cook for this guy named Matt this month (mm-hmm). :(

Since you'll be there right before the 2-week closure, I wonder if they'll be cleaning out the walk-in at that point?

Oh, and Happy Birthday! Hopefully they'll get their Peanut Butter Cup-making thing fixed before your momentous occasion.

My fear is sort of that. I'm going on the 30th which is just about the last day they might be open. I'm wondering if I'm going to get Lachlan's take on using Campbell's Cream of Mushroom or something. But since my father is a vegetarian, and I pretty much am one, we might be ok. I imagine it's the meat you start weaning first, veggies are cheap enough to keep around.

I'm also wondering which sorbets they might have. They could run out of lychees and whatnot before then. Might end up with all these herbal sorbets. Can't wait for the poultry seasoning one.

Is there a reason the Frasca people have gone sort of anti-vegetarian recently? I ask because there used to be at least one vegetarian first course (a la the Monday dinners). However, on the last few dinner menus they've put up there hasn't been a single one. And, yes, I know you could ask them to leave off the animal in one of the dishes, but that destroys a dish you figure is made to capitalize on that animal being there.

When my father and I attend my birthday dinner, we'll have essentially two vegetarians (I pretty much am one except fish). I'm beginning to wonder if I should cancel my reservation and head to a different restaurant with more vegetarian options...

I don't think they've gone completely anti-veggie, Matt. Seeing as how I am a member of the Other PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals), I went with the salmon and piggy tonight. However, they also had available a Watercress Soup with "Gentleman's Relish Toast" and a Saute of White Asparagus, Porcini, and Red Wagon Farm Pea Shoots Over Polenta that the lady next to me at the bar was devouring (it looked marvelous). The whole shebang started with a very tasty Fava Bean Puree with Garlic Toast, French Feta, and Marinated Oliives.

You should call them about your reservation and tell them you're all vegetarians, it's a special occasion, etc. They are nothing if not accommodating. (Did I say that right? I have a tiny buzz going.)