but i seem to remember conversation at one of the egullet dinners last year to the effect that cerny is full of himself. but perhaps there should be a separate l'atelier thread...

can anyone confirm whether the portion sizes at the monday night dinners are the same as on other nights?

I seem to remember Fred talking about Radek. I don't think he's much of a fan. (Where is Fred anyway? Anyone invite him over?) I don't know anything about Radek, but his food is good (other than that nasty flaming pear). I liked his short-lived Radex on Lincoln in Denver too. I could deal without all the Hummel figurines staring me down in L'Atelier though.

As for Frasca, the portion sizes were the same as any other night when we went to the Monday wine dinner earlier this month. We took a couple of friends who had never been before and they loved it.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI-

I spoke to Danette last night and told her about the coat check tipping confusion that she and Bobby were causing among certain patrons. Danette told me that at first when people would offer her a gratuity, she would refuse but because the staff pools tips, she will, if offered, accept a gratuity as it is "on behalf of" the employees. Still don't think I would tip Bobby. She also appreciated being referred to as "flash" . .

The March Monday wine dinners are now posted on the website.

Hi,

Since we are sharing our Frasca experiences, I thought this is a good place to jump into the forum.

My husband and I went to the Monday night dinner on Feb 28, 05. I had only attempted the reservation on Saturday and got waitlisted, but they called Monday after a cancellation and in we were for 8:15.

We arrived a little early to allow time for a cocktail at the bar, but the table was shortly ready, so we finished the drink at our table along the banquette. I'm not sure if we were 2 seated at a 4 top, but the table was a nice size. A weird thing to notice, but I did.

Of course, the tajut of Tocai was nice, and the menu that night was:

apps: Choice of the Pomme Aligote (me) or the Vidalia Onion Salad (husband). I also opted to, for an additional $24, get the 3 wines chosen to complement the dishes.

I loved loved the Pomme Aligote- and the wine that was selected was a different Tocai than the tajut, but was a perfect accompaniment to the creamy, potato-y lightly gruyere-y puree. It was a joy to have such a nice pairing.

mains: Choice of Hawaiian Sea Bass (me) or Agnolotti with the San Danielle ham (husband). I forget the wine that was the pairing, it was a red, not so perfect as the previous dish, but surprisingly good for a red with the fish. The Bass was 2 medium pieces on a bed of swiss chard in a Meyer Lemon cream sauce. Meyer Lemons are just *everywhere* these days. The fish had a crust on the outside, and was lightly translucent in the center- in other words, perfect. The Agnolotti was good, it didn't rock my world, but the flavors were well combined, and I could have easily stolen that bowl from him and scarfed it, but I showed some restraint.

Dessert was a nice nutty dollop of ice cream, said to be with walnuts, but I swear those were Marcona almonds. Doesn't matter, it was very creamy and good. I'm not much of a dessert person, so the fact that it wasn't overly sweet was nice for me.

It was really a great meal, and I understand what Kyle Wagner meant in describing it as a turning point for expectations. Last night (friday), Husband wanted to have a "date night". I knew we wouldn't be able to score a table at Frasca on that kind of notice, and frankly, there wasn't anywhere else I wanted to go. I've come to the conclusion that my fine-dining dollar (or many dollars) only wish to be spent at Frasca. I really have no interest in going any where else for awhile- I want to wade through the entire menu, attend more wine dinners, and enjoy the hospitality.

One thing nobody else has mentioned yet, so I will.... There is a 3rd party that came from The Laundry, and that's Nate Ready. He has good cheese knowledge, and is a gracious floor manager, and conveys the aspects of the wine and food nicely. I don't want him to be overlooked, as his contributions to the whole experience seem to go unmentioned elsewhere.

cheesemonger, welcome aboard. great to have a new voice. just between you and me, i've been stuck with these rlms and fmls and bolderites and thematts and pepperedpalates for so long i'm completely sick of them.

are you in boulder? or in the general region? do post in the other threads as well about other restaurants (or start a few new ones of your own). we hope to eat at frasca again soon ourselves.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in Boulder, and I love food, dining, and, obviously, cheese! I don't get to Denver much lately- my days off are Sunday and Monday, when many restaurants are closed. I do have a weakness for Mizuna's Mac and Cheese, but that's for another thread.

:rolleyes:

cheesemonger, welcome aboard. great to have a new voice. just between you and me, i've been stuck with these rlms and fmls and bolderites and thematts and pepperedpalates for so long i'm completely sick of them.

I beg your pardon! Then again, you certainly aren't the only person to confess a dire sickness of my presence. I shall now bombard you with posts, PMs, emails, etc. just to completely piss you off.

That's it. I'm going to bad-mouth you all over thefacebook now. Feel my virtual wrath!

Or maybe I should sign up for one of your classes, that'd learn you!

I beg your pardon! Then again, you certainly aren't the only person to confess a dire sickness of my presence. I shall now bombard you with posts, PMs, emails, etc. just to completely piss you off.

Tell him he's not funny. That drives him wild with lust.

So we're going to the Betts & Scholl wine dinner on the 28th, but I came home from work tonight to find Mr. rlm eating Cool Ranch Doritos and thought the situation had to be rectified. So we ate at the bar at Frasca and had the pairings of Neyers (a Chardonnay, Syrah, and Grenache).

We both had the Chicken and Egg Noodle Soup (the noodles being tagialettelle). Nice comfort food. Took me back to staying home sick from elementary school and eating my mom's soup.

Mr. rlm had the Carnaroli Risotto with Scallions and Chives, and I had the Meatball Stufato (since Steve the most excellent bartender gave a mouth-watering description of it). I think the meatball was veal. Steve said there was some Ricotta in the center, but I didn't detect it on account of all the competing flavors from the broth. Was it wonderful? Well, YEAH.

They had a S'mores dessert that was prepared in a fashion similar to their Peanut Butter Cup. Chocolate gelato with marshmallow swimming around it and crushed graham crackers sprinkled on top.

Can we just go ahead and have all the owners knighted or something?

So we're going to the Betts & Scholl wine dinner on the 28th, but I came home from work tonight to find Mr. rlm eating Cool Ranch Doritos and thought the situation had to be rectified. So we ate at the bar at Frasca and had the pairings of Neyers (a Chardonnay, Syrah, and Grenache).

We both had the Chicken and Egg Noodle Soup (the noodles being tagialettelle). Nice comfort food. Took me back to staying home sick from elementary school and eating my mom's soup.

Mr. rlm had the Carnaroli Risotto with Scallions and Chives, and I had the Meatball Stufato (since Steve the most excellent bartender gave a mouth-watering description of it). I think the meatball was veal. Steve said there was some Ricotta in the center, but I didn't detect it on account of all the competing flavors from the broth. Was it wonderful? Well, YEAH.

They had a S'mores dessert that was prepared in a fashion similar to their Peanut Butter Cup. Chocolate gelato with marshmallow swimming around it and crushed graham crackers sprinkled on top.

Can we just go ahead and have all the owners knighted or something?

rlm, i don't know if you have children. but it is true that my parents live very far away. can you adopt me? i am very well-behaved in fine restaurants and only rarely run around screaming, waving my hands in the air (usually happens in asian-fusion places).

I think I've come up with a workable solution: If I don't eat at all for the rest of the week, I will be able to attend every Monday dinner without sending myself to debtor's prison. Maybe pasta with garlic and parsley every other day to keep up the energy.

I'm jealous of every frasca review that isn't mine. Is that unhealthy? Is it wrong to want others to eat their respective livers when I describe my outing? :rolleyes:

We're DINKs (dual income no kids). Two of my college friends visited last weekend with their young child. One commented about my small purse. She said, "I'd never be able to fit the diapers and wet-naps in that!" I said, "Well, my birth control pills fit perfectly into my purse and that's all the room I need." :rolleyes:

We might adopt you, Mongo, but you'd have to bring your music collection. Sounds like you have schizophrenic tastes like us so you'd fit right in.

We might adopt you, Mongo, but you'd have to bring your music collection. Sounds like you have schizophrenic tastes like us so you'd fit right in.

I'm younger than Mongo, and am a poor grad student compared to Mongo and his diamond encrusted iPod, hordes of student-workers, and that handlebar moustache he so evilly twirls.

I also have pretty schizophrenic music tastes. Right now I have Steely Dan, Karl Zéro, Marty Robbins, and the Abdel Karim Ensemble in my rotation.

stop it matt--i got here first. my ipod was my last defense against the ravages of age--i mentioned this to one of my classes and heard someone whisper in the back, "it'll take more than that". only many meals at frasca, paid for by someone else, can make my mustache stop drooping.