Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Modern Mexican takes over the world...

Julia Moskin surveys the rapid expansion of Mexican cuisine. Proudly Mexican restaurants are opening in London's Intercontinental Hotel Park Lane, in Copenhagen with acolytes of Redzepi, That chef is in Tulum, showing how Mexican cuisine tastes in $600 tasting courses.

It's an interesting article, that's for sure. Many Mexicans wonder why a Danish chef needs to authenticate their cuisine. Others take pride in Mexican born chefs winning James Beard prizes, and opening restaurants all over the US. And see economic growth where there wasn't much before.

I would like to have seen more about how the impact of these changes flows down to farmers ranchers, bean growers, etc but that may be a future article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/dining/modern-mexican-food-steps-into-the-spotlight.html?ref=dining&_r=0

• Like 1

Could be. Rancho Gordo, Diana Kennedy, Cristina, Pati Jinich and others have been working these fields for years.

It's very hard for me to be objective about it all. I'm sure Redzepi is sincere and means well and I'm sure I feel proprietary about something I've worked at obsessively for years and now it seems to be appropriated by others and yet that's exactly what I've been doing on some level.

I hope people dig deeper and way beyond Tulum and even Mexico City. I'm still a guest there and as I've said many times, I think I know less every time I go, which is often. It's an amazing and exciting country and cuisine and when you "get" it beyond nachos and berry margaritas, you want to tell everyone who will listen.

There were some great chefs in the article and many of those beans were ours, here and in Mexico. That was nice.

• Like 1