Sign in to follow this  
Evelyn

A New Chapter for the Queen of Gelato/Ice Cream

It is unfortunate that the more any frozen product travels,the more opportunities for freezer fluctuations and breakdowns exist. I was never happy doing take out pints or sending product elsewhere, but business dictates it sometimes. The best product is made on the property,and is served there...

Yes. The commissary distribution method is pretty common here in south Florida.

It is unfortunate that the more any frozen product travels,the more opportunities for freezer fluctuations and breakdowns exist. I was never happy doing take out pints or sending product elsewhere, but business dictates it sometimes. The best product is made on the property,and is served there...

The guests at My Beloved Aunt Bette's 90th birthday party--almost 11 years ago!--still talk about the incredible olive oil gelato I sent Paul to bring back from the restaurant. (At least, those who are still alive do, including Bette.) Thank you for that; you made a lot of people happy who would never have gone to the restaurant.

When I heard B&B was opening in Las Vegas I was over the moon. Thinking I would have access to gelato on a par with Otto. Went, the gelato sucked. Spoke with Meredith at Otto shortly after my LV experience. And she validated what I'd already surmised. She was not involved in the LV project. And, as of my last visit a couple of years ago, the gelatin there was still pathetic.

I wish you all the best in your upcoming endeavors Meredith!

Thanks,all...I'm just retiring from restaurants,but something new came my way recently....and I can't afford to retire anyway. I will be working with Milk Maid ice cream in Carroll Gardens,starting next month.

It'll be nice having you in the neighborhood. The local buzz on Milkmaid is very uneven... not so much about the product, as about their seeming disorganization.

N still talks about your fabulous gelato. We miss it very much here in CA. Best of luck with everything!

From Eater -

New York’s Master of Gelato Has Moved to MilkMade in Brooklyn
Signing on to work with owner Diana Hardeman, Meredith Kurtzman hasn’t retired after all

After last month’s report on the greatest gelato maker in New York, turns out Meredith Kurtzman has decided not to retire after all: In an about-face, she’s helming the gelato and ice cream production at MilkMade, Diana Hardeman’s Carroll Gardens shop started in 2009 as a subscription service that became a full-fledged ice cream parlor in 2015. Following Hardeman’s return to work after a stroke, the shop is relaunching June 23.

Turns out, Kurtzman — who was hired to start today — ended up at MilkMade after being connected by a mutual friend. The friend knew about Kurtzman’s leaving Al Di La Trattoria in Park Slope as well as Hardeman’s wanting to relaunch — and that Hardeman wasn’t up to the hours and demands of full-time ice cream making as she continues to recover.

With an eye on her health, the 30-something Hardeman wanted to build a stronger team, so she has hired Kurtzman to work with Taylor Barry in the kitchen and staffed up business and marketing, too.

What a boon for MilkMade. The 66 year-old Kurtzman, whose attention to the details of gelato-making prompted former employer Joe Bastianich to declare that she’s an artisan of the highest sort in his 2012 memoir Restaurant Man. “There’s nothing quite like it. No one in the United States of America is even fucking close,” he wrote.

Kurtzman, who worked at Otto Enoteca Pizzeria for a decade, put the place on the map as a gelato destination in the early 2000s. Fast-forward to the present, as she’d been getting up at 4:30 a.m. for work at Al Di La, which she left earlier this month.

For longtime fans, do not worry: MilkMade will continue with ice cream subscriptions, which are $35 a month for two pints, a note from the staff, two flavor-of-the-month magnets, and delivery; no flavors are ever repeated for members. MilkMade’s retail hours will be from Sunday to Thursday 1 to 10 p.m. and weekends until 11 p.m.

Meridith is just so real that she makes me re-evaluate my own integrity. At the same time, I smile every time I think of her.

Yeah, when I wrote my post about Milkmaid upthread, I didn't know about Hardeman's stroke & ongoing recovery. So, I went over the next day to check it out & spoke with the enthusiastic server. The ice cream was excellent & I look forward to hearing (& tasting) great things in the future.

ETA: hey, Daniel.... don't you & A need a small batch product for your growing empire?

So great to hear, can wait to come by. The gelato has always been my favorite part about Otto. But the rest of the experience largely kept me away

Don't expect Otto gelato...the owner has a different Style of ice cream.I am there to lend my knowledge,and learn some things about producing a pasteurized,very legal product. It is a work in progress.