Sign in to follow this  
mongo_jones

scotland

so, at the end of our london sojourn (we returned to minnesota this sunday) we went up to scotland for 10 days. train to glasgow and then driving to the highlands, to skye, down to kennacraig for the ferry to islay, and then back to glasgow. it was a lovely trip, if filled with some stressful driving situations. i will predictably have a lot of posts about this trip on the blog that will be focused on whisky and food (though whisky was not really a focus of the trip). my first post sets the scene and contains tips and warnings for others considering a trip.

machir-bay.jpg

• Like 3

since the above i've posted reports on two distillery visits: first, talisker, where i took the basic distillery tour and today, lagavulin, where i did the warehouse experience (where you pay £23 and get about £200 worth of rare whisky).

Beautiful photo. (Small tip: your camera has an editing tool to make the horizon level.)

creelers is a small and unpromising looking shack in broadford (on skye). they've been around 20 years, serving up local seafood (and other things) in a french style. the service is comically bad but the seafood is seriously good.

cockle-meat.jpg

• Like 1

Can you describe the above dish? How components were treated/seasoned? It looks seriously good.

Thanks. Now I can taste it. :)

And, god, how I love smoked haddock soup. And how angry I get because local mongers won't stock s.h. because "it's too expensive" and won't sell, while their cases are full of a handful of different smoked salmon and sturgeon.