Rockaway Beach, Queens

So, it's my birthday tomorrow and I have been wanting to spend some extended time @ Rockaway Beach.. I think i have only been there two times.. We are renting a spot on 97th, very close to the beach.. I have been to Rippers (fairly decent) and a dive bar or two.. I heard about the pizza guy who is a lunatic... And there are a bunch of puntacular names that don't get me too excited..

We are going to be with child and I don't know how food centered we are going to be.. I wouldn't mind just shutting down the noggin for a minute and eating turkey sandwiches on white bread with lots of mayo, salt and vinegar chips and cold cheap bear but, we shall see..

Anyway, it's for a couple/few days, i will report back and be interested in suggestions.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, that may well be true.   Happy birthday young (& still very energetic... to say the least) Daniel.

He certainly didn't keep anything approaching regular hours when he was in Rockaway proper.

When things are "normal", this place is packed.  Friends have had cabanas there forever and we stop by once or so a year to hang out.  Its a slice of old Brooklyn, warts and all.

Everything is casual, shorts and flip flops.

Connolly's on 95th street for cheap slushy frozen drinks. Styrofoam cups.

101 Deli for good quality Italian sandwiches - on Rockaway Beach Blvd betwn 100th and 101st street.

AA Chinese, also on Rockaway Beach Blvd around 97th, for surprisingly good Szechuan. East Meets West, on 129th Street, for more Americanized Chinese food.

Rockaway Beach Surf Club for the fish tacos that launched Rockaway as a hispter food spot.

Whit's for pizza. Also a fish cooler of iced down cans of beer (Naragansett tall boys, etc.) Whitney closed down the original pizza place and moved to Riis Park.

Rockaway Beach Bakery for everything croissants and other baked goods. Mornings only.

The concession stands on the boardwalk are also pretty solid. My brother loves Super Burrito, which is on 97th Street. Caracas is on 106th. A gothamist list of this year's lineup can be found at

Thank you, thank you.. I am reading the yelp reviews for Whit's End.. If anyone has some free time, it's a lot of fun.. Even the people that enjoyed the pizza speak of this character.. I wonder if I should take Miss A there and not tell her the schtick involved.. Whit just might get himself cut.

Thank you, thank you.. I am reading the yelp reviews for Whit's End.. If anyone has some free time, it's a lot of fun.. Even the people that enjoyed the pizza speak of this character.. I wonder if I should take Miss A there and not tell her the schtick involved.. Whit just might get himself cut.

It's very different now that it's at Riis Park. I haven't read the reviews, but it's located 70 blocks away. It used to be on a relatively busy street with foot traffic, etc. It's now on the boardwalk around 160th street where it's much more regulated by the Parks Department.

There is a place called Rodgers and its been opened since 1919.. it also happens to be across the street from a 24 grocery with a grill called pickles and pies.. they happened to make a fabulous bacon grilled cheese..

And whits end seems to be closed

We arrived at a gate around 10 pm last night. Uber guy could t find the place. Some guy in a car said it was a parking lot.

Watching bugs bunny and eating turkey sandwiches with salt and vinegar potato chips. Groceries from pickles and pies

We arrived at a gate around 10 pm last night. Uber guy could t find the place. Some guy in a car said it was a parking lot.

Watching bugs bunny and eating turkey sandwiches with salt and vinegar potato chips. Groceries from pickles and pies

10pm on a Thursday in Rockaway is like 3am on the LES. Whitney claims that the Riis Park spot it open until midnight on Friday and Saturday but I think it's crowd based. I also think he's closed today because of the rain. Tomorrow he will be open, per his insta.

I don't think I've ever been to Rogers. It was the old man bar when I grew up and I never went when I got old.

I want to know about Aycock's pizza oven. He insisted it was his and after the Playland closed down Aycock and a friend broke through a wall and made off with the oven. I think they needed a fork lift to pick it up.

Surveillance cameras picked him up and he was arrested. Was that case settled?

10pm on a Thursday in Rockaway is like 3am on the LES. Whitney claims that the Riis Park spot it open until midnight on Friday and Saturday but I think it's crowd based. I also think he's closed today because of the rain. Tomorrow he will be open, per his insta.

I don't think I've ever been to Rogers. It was the old man bar when I grew up and I never went when I got old.

Birthday dinner last night. We had kept a Harbison out of the fridge for 24 hours. Cracked it at sunset with some bread and a glass of wine, while listening to live music at low tide. Jax ate a hotdog and cornbread, He met a bunch of kids and danced and ran around until the inevitable crash occurred. I was asleep before 9 pm up at 430 am.

Heading out for a jog and then making a pack of bacon. Half for breakfast, half for today's turkey sandwiches.

I'm getting the picture, I'm not here for the food. We stopped in to Bungalow. Some poorly cooked seafood on their plateau, still good but, not great for sure. The crab meat they serve In a metal sauce container is ridiculous. One thing that upset me or confused me was their children's grilled cheese. They use thick rye bread. Like, I'm ordering from the children's menu, that is very much a grown up grilled cheese option.

We stopped into Community Hall and their liquid bread beer hall. Is it a beer hall if all you offer is canned beers that are in the bud and modelo variety? We had some poorly made onion rings and played checkers, pig pong and bocci ball. But that community hall, what a gorgeous space. I could see weddings be held there

No real craft beer options available between the 4 or 5 bars we went to.

Jax man loves the beach and has to be torn away from it. Between sand castles and running into the water, it could fill up a day. Super nervous as the boy has no fear or respect for the ocean. I was thinking about letting a wave dump him so he would get the taste of a salt water rinse but, parents instinctually like to protect their kids from the world and its harsh realities. I am an ex-surfer and trained as a life guard and love the ocean but, the Atlantic Ocean is not your friend. Between the ocean and these assholes speeding down the boardwalk on their bikes, there is plenty to worry about.

Having a fun time experiencing this place I know so little about

I don't remember how old I was (maybe 4 or 5), but I did have to be dragged in once by the lifeguards, after getting caught in the undertow at the Rockaways. And I was probably quite close to the shore at the time. Developed a nice, life-long fear of the ocean that way.

Happy Birthday!