Rail Paul

Instant Pot, the best thing since the Veg-o-matic?

What is the point, other than to sell to people who might want a slow cooker/rice cooker/electric roaster oven thingie, but who don't want or need a pressure cooker?

Buy a Staub; turn burner to low, "Stay In"; enjoy.     

That's fine for NOW.  But during times of normal life, I couldn't cook without a slow cooker and pressure cooker.

I am finding that the only thing really good about it is that it's truly hands off, we can go in the yard or out while it's on. any speed advantages it might have are offset by the constant "food burning" warning I get while it heats up. I think the oven produces better results, although probably there's a learning curve with the instant pot that I haven't gone though yet. I haven't made stock with it I guess.

if you really need one I'll walk mine over.

13 hours ago, AaronS said:

I am finding that the only thing really good about it is that it's truly hands off, we can go in the yard or out while it's on. any speed advantages it might have are offset by the constant "food burning" warning I get while it heats up. I think the oven produces better results, although probably there's a learning curve with the instant pot that I haven't gone though yet. I haven't made stock with it I guess.

if you really need one I'll walk mine over.

The hands off thing is good; even with a stovetop pc, you gotta stick around.

I've never seen the food burning warning; nor have I ever burnt any food in it - what's up with that? Maybe the older model I have doesn't show that warning?

I have burned some food in it, so I guess its right to warn me but it happens every time. google says it’s often a result of an improperly cleaned machine but that’s not the issue. I also don’t know why I’m burning stuff, I’m following recipes from books that I assume have been tested to the letter.

10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

The hands off thing is good; even with a stovetop pc, you gotta stick around.

Granted, we're charter members of "Practicing Paranoids", but we never leave the house with an appliance on.    Not a small appliance, not the dishwasher, washer or dryer.    I was the one to call the fire department when the dishwasher went south next door.   And for the rice cooker with a life of its own on our other side.   

• Like 1

I'm the same way. As a child, our clothes dryer caught on fire. Had we not been home, and seen the smoke coming from the A/C vent, the fireman said the house would've been engulfed within a very short time. We were also very lucky the fire station was only about 1/2 mile away.

• Like 1

Yeah, well my previous dishwasher turned itself on (this new age of computer-run appliances) and flooded my kitchen with thick black gunk even though it was turned off when I left.

So by  your logic I now should NEVER should leave my apartment.

Just buy the cheap appliances YOU control 😱🙃😬

Just kidding. I just don't leave anything that involves an heating function on when I leave the house. Everything else is fair game. If something sludges my house, that can be cleaned up/replaced. If it's something that has an heating element, that's a different story if things go bad.

11 hours ago, voyager said:

Granted, we're charter members of "Practicing Paranoids", but we never leave the house with an appliance on.    Not a small appliance, not the dishwasher, washer or dryer.    I was the one to call the fire department when the dishwasher went south next door.   And for the rice cooker with a life of its own on our other side.   

I should make clear that under no circumstances do I ever leave appliances on and leave the apartment, unless it's to go downstairs to get the mail or something. Though my paranoia is more from candles and open flame.

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Yeah, well my previous dishwasher turned itself on (this new age of computer-run appliances) and flooded my kitchen with thick black gunk even though it was turned off when I left.

So by  your logic I now should NEVER should leave my apartment.

Have I vented on how much I hate "smart" appliances?     On, off and a dial of choices works just fine foe me.