Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Eat Like a Peruvian

A sponsored site in the NY Times...Encouraging Peruvians to take pride in their native ingredients and their expertise

Today, the Surquillo market welcomes visitors with an abundance of goods, from colorful piles of hot-pink spotted olluco potatoes and golden berries to multiple varieties of quinoa and chalky bags of coarse Maras salt sourced from Incan ponds in the Andean highlands.

“The new Peruvian message of food is biodiversity and the unknown,” says the third-generation chef Virgilio Martínez, who helms renowned Central in Miraflores and serves a tasting menu featuring around 200 meticulously sourced local ingredients from 18 different altitudes. For the last several years, he and Central’s research group, Mater Iniciativa, have foraged for native ingredients and studied indigenous food systems in the Andes and the Amazon. Martínez has also invited young chefs from the fourth generation to join the expeditions. “If you cook with these ideas, this cuisine is way stronger than we think it is now — it’s not pisco sours, ceviches and great tasty food anymore. It’s at another level.”

https://paidpost.nytimes.com/peru/the-generation-with-a-cause.html?tbs_nyt=2017-june-nytnative_hpmod&cpv_dsm_id=9548558

We will be traveling through Lima next March (2018). Should we build a few days there into our trip (probably at the beginning)? All advice is welcome.

I did an entire rewrite of the lyrics of "Walk Like an Egyptian" to post in this thread, and my computer ate it.

I'm not doing it again.