paryzer

Sam Shepard

The Times obit/tribute mentioned his romantic partnership with Jessica Lange, but not the one he had with Patti Smith.

The Times obit/tribute mentioned his romantic partnership with Jessica Lange, but not the one he had with Patti Smith.

Corrected.

Significant Eater and I were reminiscing about some of the Shephard plays we'd seen together over the years.

I think we both agreed that one of, if not the best, was a production of True West, at Circle in the Square, with Phillip Seymour Hoffman and John C. Reilly alternating parts during the production. Pretty great.

I saw that production with PSH in it. He was so great.

Sam Shepard was put on my radar by a boy I dated who was an actor and took me to see Buried Child because he had a friend in the production. I recall thinking it deeply weird yet wonderful.

I also saw Fool for Love with an excellent Will Patton in it. Seated next to me was Patti Lupone who every time she laughed at something gave me a little tap on the arm

I lived near the Promenade Theater when Curse of the Starving Class was playing there in 1985, so I got to see the lamb being walked to and from the theater, which was pretty cool. (I also saw the production, but I don't remember much about it.)