Sign in to follow this  
voyager

Mississippi Roast and sons

I love a Mississippi Roast. But it's not for the faint of heart.

What is so challenging about it? Lievre royale, that's challenging. But MR?

It's a challenge to food snobs.

I'm hardly a food snob, but I didn't like it. At least when made with the original recipe (the NYTimes take on it may be better, but I don't want to waste a good chunk of beef to try it).

I love a Mississippi Roast. But it's not for the faint of heart.

What is so challenging about it? Lievre royale, that's challenging. But MR?

It's a challenge to food snobs.

I'm hardly a food snob, but I didn't like it. At least when made with the original recipe (the NYTimes take on it may be better, but I don't want to waste a good chunk of beef to try it).

Then try it on a bad chunk of beef. Or a chunk of pork. It's really a concept and a process rather than a recipe. I was the quintessential doubter but now turn to it with some frequency. Essentially a pot roast hijacked by the food conglomerates then gentrified by the NYT. As BurgerKing says, "Have it your way."

I just made my fourth one, my kids will mostly eat it now. I served it over mashed potatoes the first time, and then followed a recommendation I saw a few places on the web and made sandwiches with martins rolls and mozzarella, which were fine. the last set of left overs got turned into stroganoff with sour cream and dill and onions, which probably lined my heart. Im impressed you eat a whole batch, I was pretty tired of it by the third day.

Size matters. I always go for "planned-overs" but within reason. One dinner for 2 + 2-3 lunch portions and it's history.

But if I adapt to suit my tastes, it's not really Mississippi Roast anymore. It's some other kind of roast.

Mississippi Roast aka Brooklyn Roast aka San Francisco Roast aka Montreal Roast. It's still rock n' roast to me.