Menus for after the hurricane

Thanks for all the suggestions. As a result of the renovations, our two manual can openers are in the packed items. So I bought another earlier in the week. Buck and a half.

Daniel, I think there's a phone app of a can opener for folks who want to attract cats...

Orik, the question of weaponry is hotly debated, as you might expect. In Florida, legal weapons possession is more common than in some other places. Many communities, including ours, have a default program that leaves the security gates in the open position when power is lost. It may even be a law.

I've been surprised at how many of our neighbors are armed to the teeth. Many hunters, several police officers of various agencies, lots of retired cops from the northern states, etc

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the approaching Hurricane Harvey what foods do you normally stock for after the storm? Growing up on the gulf coast, too many times the very first things that disappeared from the store shelves

Dee reminded me we also have a small inventory of cookies.   We donate much of our inventory in December, using up the various canned items and water stockpiled for the season of June - October. Get

Make sure you have a gun, in case your neighbors gang up on you for that can opener.

huh. I apologize. 61% of American Households have an electric can opener. I guess I really am an out of touch urban elite.

Another question. How many cans do you open a week? Really. Tomatoes. Broth. What else?

AB: Apology accepted.

Voyager: Tuna. Salmon. Sometimes other canned fish. Sometimes corn, if I'm desperate. Broth, no. Tomatoes, rarely. Bulgarian feta, when the key-tab strip breaks. Bustelo coffee, but that's pull-top foil. If I open one can a month, that's a lot. But my point was that normal people might use a lot more canned foods. I really don't know how typical cans are sealed these days, but if you need a can opener and the power is out, you could stay hungry.

Based on my observations in the past week, I'd say a considerable % of vegetable cans (field beans, corn, peas, chiles, etc) are not pull top. Soups are probably 50-50. Tuna and salmon, canned chicken, canned sausages, are mostly pull top. Processed spaghetti and meatballs, Manwich, stews, are mostly pull top.

As Suzanne notes, this is normal people food. Not the stuff often discussed here.

Based on my observations in the past week, I'd say a considerable % of vegetable cans (field beans, corn, peas, chiles, etc) are not pull top. Soups are probably 50-50. Tuna and salmon, canned chicken, canned sausages, are mostly pull top. Processed spaghetti and meatballs, Manwich, stews, are mostly pull top.

As Suzanne notes, this is normal people food. Not the stuff often discussed here.

Just purged my deep storage canned stuff. Can report that all sizes of jalapenos are pull top; bing cherries and refried beans, not. Why I stockpiled the former and had ANY of the latter two, I have no idea.

Interesting, some of my friends on social media are saying that an empty dishwasher is a good place to store valuables as its water proof and most likely nailed to something.. Found that useful and incredibly fucking scary..

Just purged my deep storage canned stuff. Can report that all sizes of jalapenos are pull top; bing cherries and refried beans, not. Why I stockpiled the former and had ANY of the latter two, I have no idea.

I volunteer at a local charity a few days each week. During the snowbirds-go-north season, we make a full court press for departees to donate the contents of their hurricane boxes and pantries. Exactly the same kind of stuff. We get a lot of stuff, and have a few vans assigned just to pick up food.

We get a lot of food, canned beans, dried pasta, etc. It makes a difference since donations drop way off in April - October.

The island of Palm Beach is under a mandatory evacuation order at this point, so he didn't have much choice. Several areas of West Palm Beach, Riviera Beach, Boynton Beach and its suburbs, etc are under mandatory evacuation.

Up here, in Martin County, the Jupiter island is now under mandatory, as are the many tributary areas of the Loxahatchee River (think golf communities with their own yacht slips). All of Hutchinson Island, Sewell's Point and Sailfish Point, and many areas around Port Salerno, Indian River Lagoon, etc.

Piper's Landing and other golf resorts on the St Lucie River are on evacuation watch. President Obama occasionally played golf there, creating lots of water hazard activity. Like helicopters, high speed boats, etc.

Not like anybody's going to defend Limbaugh at any rate.

The guy has 20 million listeners. Plenty of people will defend him. The same way someone would defend Rachel Maddow or anyone with an opinion. People still show up to listen to al gore make billions of dollars off carbon credits. At some point someone is going to sit across the table from Anthony weiner and say, "you know, I think he might just be the one"