Sign in to follow this  
Peter Creasey

IAH & Hobby closed!

As of this past weekend, the Houston airports are closed for business until probably Wednesday morning. Staff and travelers are unable to navigate some of the flooded roads to get to and from the airports plus flights would often have to be diverted due to storms.
Last word was there was ~800 travelers stranded in the two airports.

Lots of heartbreaking news in Houston!

Joining Joe in wishing everyone a safe passage through this mess.

This is wreaking havoc on Southwest Air and United, since both have enormous presence in Houston. The sheer scope of rainfall, and the amount of land underwater is hard to fathom(!).

After NJ suffered enormous flooding in hurricane Floyd and superstorm Sandy, many counties implemented stronger rules on new developments and permeability. So you could no longer cut down five acres of forest and meadow to build a new Wal-Mart or mall, paving every square inch. Now the standards for new construction require swales to capture water, and semi-permeable parking surfaces. Even new residential has a 37% coverage ration (have to leave 63% in grass, meadow, or other permeable surface.You see a lot of new block and mat construction in driveways, for example.

Even here in Florida, new construction in flood zones A, B, or C has newer and stronger code requirements.

@Rail Paul:

It's not really about the absorption in this case just given the amount of rain. Houston's drainage plan is actually pretty good – like when you see the roads and highways flooding, that's actually by design, because they're meant to serve as gutters. If anything they're better than most, because they're by far the best city in the US for permitting infill development, which (despite everything else about Houston) naturally limits the sprawl, &c.

It's also why criticism much of the criticism on evacuation is not well-placed – "stuck in traffic on the roads" is the absolute worst place to be in Houston during a major flooding event, since the roads will flood first and flood worst, by design!

Thanks, guys, for the good sentiments.

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm. admin note: I deleted some political content. Houston is doing it right...

past attempts to impose greater centralized urban planning on Houston have been defeated by overwhelming working-class opposition every time. Those residents know something many in the urban planning world dont. It is well past time that we start taking Houstons success seriously.

How Spontaneous Order Keeps Houston Affordable by Nolan Gray

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm. admin note: deleted politcal content.

I just want to make sure no one misses this.

The lesson here actually is that Houston did dramatically change how it thought about the drainage issue after prior major storms and instituted those changes. That's what Taion is talking about.

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm. admin note: deleted politcal content.

and yet no admin response

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm. And your posting seemed to venture into political issues e.g. what is too much and/or too little regulation.

and yet no admin response

Rail Paul could spank himself.

Paul did fine.

My rejoinder was NOT intended to rebuke or criticize Paul. His comments were absolutely fine...if a bit misguided in some folks' view.

Postings like Paul's are what keeps a board active and viable.

Keep up the good work, Paul!

Paul, no city could have coped any better with this unprecedented storm.

I think it's a bit early to be taking a victory lap.

439F4C6A00000578-0-image-a-14_1503874090

There is going to be lots of post storm analysis done after the flooding has run its course. I wouldn't predict that the results will be categorically damning to local officials. I also wouldn't predict that they'll be given a triumphal parade down Main Street.

Anyone who says they can predict the results of those inquiries today is speculating.

It's fine to voice one's thoughts on this; however, obviously, NO ONE IS TAKING A VICTORY LAP. To suggest they are is brutal and insensitive to the heartbreaking losses and sufferings.

As just one example, a major reservoir on the west side is at an all-time high and the water has to be released so the dam won't collapse and cause even worse devastation. This means a strongly recommended evacuation of 1000 homes within 12 hours of notice. Evacuees will likely not be able to return to their homes for 2 months as the homes are expected to remain flooded.