That can't be how we decide if a piece of furniture (as opposed to an establishment) is a bar. A long skinny flat place with liquor behind it and stools in front of it is a bar. It matters not whether people who sit at it order food or don't. This piece of furniture is a bar, by virtue of its construction and its surroundings and (to a lesser extent) its use.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The oysters are delicious. They're tiny, as seems to be the current trend (I'm estimating each oyster is around half the size of a European #3) but really very good.   Shrimps are listed as a raw ba

He's been a way a while, so maybe you've forgot your translation rubric - that's nearly a rave for an NYC resto. I just booked it,

The hit ratio this time has been so low that we almost went back for a third round of buttery goodness at Sunday in Brooklyn.

Posted Images

Nobody has ever said, “let’s go to the bar at Olmsted and have a drink.”  But the thing in front is unmistakably a bar and the thing at the back is unmistakably a counter.

At both Olmsted and Cervo’s, you call the people behind the things in the front bartenders, not countertenders, right?

8 hours ago, small h said:

Well, okay, but there is a counter with people preparing food behind it. And also this as yet unnamed area with a guy preparing drinks behind it.

The counter with people preparing food behind it? The behind part - let's call that the line. And let's call that other area which looks exactly the same as the counter with people preparing food behind it the service bar, with a counter in front of it where you can have dinner.

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Right.  Lots of restaurants have bars where no one just drinks any more.  Of “our” kind of restaurant, I’d say most do. 

I have no argument with this. But does anyone say let's go to to Olmstead for a drink? And then go out to eat?

7 hours ago, small h said:

And then I went to Saluggi's to watch tennis and just had a drink, no food! 

Why do I think Saluggi's bar area is a separate and distinct bar, and called a bar, as opposed to a counter where one would have dinner? And where one could just have drinks, like say at Clandestino? This might have something to do with it...

https://east.saluggis.com/new-york-lower-east-side-saluggis-east-drink-menu

As does this:

349223586_ScreenShot2021-09-10at6_46_13AM.thumb.png.c41a4c155c5dc40cacd8b8b182ee96bf.png

And this:

image.thumb.png.4c2314af19e47db7fe3f2978e7ec3a64.png

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Just to drive this into the ground, Olmsted near me CLEARLY has a bar in the front and CLEARLY has a counter in the back.

And I’d be very surprised if anyone in the history of Olmsted ever had drinks at the bar without eating. 

So doesn't this agree with what I'm saying?  Separate and distinct areas, which Cervo's certainly does not have.

7 hours ago, small h said:

That can't be how we decide if a piece of furniture (as opposed to an establishment) is a bar. A long skinny flat place with liquor behind it and stools in front of it is a bar. It matters not whether people who sit at it order food or don't. This piece of furniture is a bar, by virtue of its construction and its surroundings and (to a lesser extent) its use.

Why is it a bar? It's a counter, in a tiny restaurant, where the only area to store booze and make drinks happens to be behind it. 

4 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Nobody has ever said, “let’s go to the bar at Olmsted and have a drink.”  But the thing in front is unmistakably a bar and the thing at the back is unmistakably a counter.

At both Olmsted and Cervo’s, you call the people behind the things in the front bartenders, not countertenders, right?

I don't know about Olmstead, and you can call the person behind the counter making drinks a bartender, but...

At the bars in restaurants you go to, say Rezdora, say Gage, say Cafe Katja, who takes your drink order? Who takes your food order? Most likely - the bartender. That's why you like sitting at bars. And at those places, there is often a second bartender, the service bartender, making drinks for the people sitting at tables elsewhere.

At Cervo's, the bartender is a service bartender. That person does not not take your food order. That "bar" tender does not even take your drink order. Strange, right? Both are done by a different person called a waiter or waitress or waitperson or whatever that person is called these days. But the person behind the counter doesn't, because that person is working service for the entire restaurant; you just happen to be sitting at the counter in front of that person, because there is no other place for that person to work.

4 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

There was not a single person merely drinking (and not eating) at the bar of Red Hook Tavern last night.  But it’s unmistakably a bar. You could NEVER call it a counter. 

And it probably looks like a bar? Does it look more like Eisenberg's or McSorley's?

Webster:

5a: a counter at which food or especially alcoholic beverages are served We sat at the bar while we waited for a table.

b: a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks and sometimes food are served : BARROOMThey went to a bar for drinks.

Oxford:
a counter across which alcoholic drinks or refreshments are served.
"standing at the bar"
1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

At Cervo's, the bartender is a service bartender. That person does not not take your food order. That "bar" tender does not even take your drink order.

The guy standing across the skinny flat place from me took my drink order. He also took my food order - we talked about how sad it was that there were no shrimp heads available last night - and mixed my drink and cleared my empty plates. I don't know what his job title is, but you can ask him next time you're there. I didn't get his name, but he's originally from Oregon and lives in Ridgewood - there can't be more than one person there who fits that description. The only other service people I encountered were the hostess, who seated me and checked my Excelsior pass, and the runner who brought me my food.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

And let's call that other area which looks exactly the same as the counter with people preparing food behind it the service bar,

The above sentence is a little ambiguous, but just to clarify, no food was being prepared behind the skinny flat place in front of which I sat. Just drinks. I don't know the distinction between a bar and a service bar, but since I interacted with (let's just call him) the bartender, I would call it a bar.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I remember being driven crazy by all the people just drinking at the bar at WD-50 when it was new and trendy, leaving no seats for people who wanted to eat.

If that helps.

That was one tiny bar. 

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

Seats about eight I think.

Right - and it even looks like...a bar!

Do you recall if there was bar food on a separate menu? Because I remember eating a couple of dishes at the bar, but possibly they were just sent out comped due to the company I was keeping.

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Right - and it even looks like...a bar!

Do you recall if there was bar food on a separate menu? Because I remember eating a couple of dishes at the bar, but possibly they were just sent out comped due to the company I was keeping.

I closed that bar many a night. It kind of became my “regular” for a couple years. Often after doing dinner elsewhere (or even dinner at home) we’d hit the WD bar for dessert and/or (many) nightcaps.

For most of their run it was the same menu as the dining room. Towards the end when they went tasting-menu-only, you could still order a la carte at the bar. They also got rid of those awkwardly placed bar tables at some point, too.