Yawn. Not the iPhones. The utterly predictable blather here.

Now now. Are you saying your post wasn't predictable? And you forgot to mention the killer feature - the animojis.

Seriously, I really respect your technical knowledge and your insight although the memes about Android's lack of security and the special apps that are only available from the App Store are vintage 2011. They need to be retired. But overall you wrote a good detailed summary of the X's new features.

The X is just in time. iPhone sales have been declining recently but not by that much. Perhaps people were waiting for the X to be released. we'll see.

I'd love to be at a bar when someone takes out their brand new X and the person sitting next to them says "Wow. The Samsung Note 8!"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any opinions on whether these are the answer to all our problems? Or whether Galaxy Note 8 is?

Yawn. Not the iPhones. The utterly predictable blather here. I remember how it went in 2007 when I got the first iPhone. “Why do you have that?” “Because it has the full internet in my pocket.”

Anthony, Centurion lounges are the shit and so are international ones (some of them).

I really dont care about the phone arguments as my decision to go Android is about a philosophical distaste for walled gardens and a need for cheap international 4G data through Fi. Clearly from a pure user experience perspective iPhone is better.

But I LOL at the argument that airport lounges (US only of course) some how make the flying experience better. (tho I did just get global entry for a two year old)

These iPhone discussions are a form of Kabuki theater. Our roles and opinions are ritualistic but we keep performing them.

Nathan, I know you're going to buy an X and I look forward to your review. I think you're one of the people who will really take advantage of the new features.

It will be interesting to see if the price point of the X and the Note 8 deter some people from buying them. You have to decide how much phone is enough. Not everyone goes out and buys a $5,000 stove, even if it can do tricks the cheaper stoves can't do.

Technical features aside, there is a distinction between the Apple and Samsung product line. If you're an iPhone person you have to pony up $1,000 and buy an X if you want a bezel-less phone with an AMOLED screen. In SamsungLand you can buy an S8 or S8+ and get them for less.

Maybe people won't care. Then again, we all don't buy $5,000 stoves.

I've got no skin in this game.

Anthony, Centurion lounges are the shit and so are international ones (some of them).

LOL. I fly internationally a lot. But thanks. The fact remains the lounges at nearly all US airports are terrible. Its really only in Asia (and Europe to a reasonable extent) you get decent lounges. Even then some of them you'd expect to be nice (ICN, NRT) just aren't great.

Centurion lounges are not common enough to matter for me. I've never succesfully used one. Even when I've been going out of an airport they are in, I'm always in another terminal.

I dred the once a quarter or so I fly domestic - and thats with lots of status. It sucks.

I think the solution to the lounge "problem" is to get drunk before you get to the airport. And buy a sandwich, too.

I think the solution to the iPhone/vsSamsung "problem" is to buy whatever makes you happy.

Now the stove, now that's a different story. If the $5,000 stove lasts more than 10 years, then it's equivalent to 5 $1K iPhones, assuming that iPhone is replaced every 2 years (though I haven't even upgraded my 6s yet; I'm squeezing every last charge out of it, and it works for my needs). I guess that's a good deal, then.

However, regarding "tricks" the stove might perform, well, actually, it has no electronics to speak of, so "tricks" aren't even part of the equation!

The Centurion Lounge in Las Vegas is great. Really good cocktails, food and service. The bad news is, it can get crowded. And I only get to go there if my flight is delayed. Otherwise I get to the airport as late as possible, and leave as quickly as possible when I get back.

As for the cost of flagship phones today, if you took someone from twenty years ago and told them there existed a device small enough to fit in the pocket that replaced their car, their library, their newspaper, their television, their radio, their camera, their home phone, maps, their computer (if they had one)...and they could have it for $20,000 they would be impressed. If you said $1000 they wouldn’t believe you.

How much have you spent on smartphones to date, including data plans?

I switched from Android to iOS and haven't really looked back.

iOS isn't perfect, and there are a few things that I miss, but overall even at the time of switch, iOS just consistently feels more responsive, fluid, &c. Also, iMessage and FaceTime are great, plus integration that just works with my Macs to let me do things like handle text messaging and phone calls on my computers.

A $200 premium over the 8+ doesn't seem ridiculous at all to get a comparable screen size in a much smaller body size.

To add nuance to Nathan's point on CPUs, where Apple has a huge lead in the mobile space right now is in single-threaded performance, which essentially bottlenecks responsiveness. The Qualcomm CPUs have been competitive (and sometimes ahead, at least on paper) on multi-threaded perf, but if you've ever extensively used both iOS and Android devices, the iOS devices consistently just feel more responsive.

In a vacuum, as a mobile OS, I think Android is better because of intents, cross-app integration, &c., but iPhones are just smoother in use, plus their suite of applications is really, really, really convenient in practice if you use a Mac.

• Like 1

To add nuance to Nathan's point on CPUs, where Apple has a huge lead in the mobile space right now is in single-threaded performance, which essentially bottlenecks responsiveness. The Qualcomm CPUs have been competitive (and sometimes ahead, at least on paper) on multi-threaded perf, but if you've ever extensively used both iOS and Android devices, the iOS devices consistently just feel more responsive.

That was true. But these geekbench scores are blowing up the web. Intel should be worried (see the MacBook Pro score.) The multithreaded lead left the station.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-x-vs-galaxy-note-8-vs-galaxy-s8-benchmarks-comparison/