ethiopian restaurants in minnesota

when you think of african immigrants in minnesota you probably think of somalis; but there's a sizable ethiopian population too (relatively speaking) and quite a few ethiopian restaurants. of these, fasika in st. paul is probably the most established. here is a writeup of some recent meals there.

kitfo-dulet.jpg

when you think of african immigrants in minnesota you probably think of somalis; but there's a sizable ethiopian population too (relatively speaking) and quite a few ethiopian restaurants. of these, fasika in st. paul is probably the most established. here is a writeup of some recent meals there.

kitfo-dulet.jpg

MJ, can you point us to a description and recipe for this crepe-like thing?

kitfo-dulet.jpg

MJ, can you point us to a description and recipe for this crepe-like thing?

it's injera--the classic ethiopian "flatbread". sour in taste and spongy in texture: sort of like a cross between a south indian dosa (for the fermented batter taste) and appam (for texture). classically made with teff but in the u.s more likely to have wheat in the batter, i'd guess.

Super thanks! Do you suppose I would come within shooting distance if I subbed, say, 1/2 buckwheat +1/2 unbleached wheat flour for teff? I can probably source teff flour but would like to have some idea of the product before adding another jar to my pantry.

<snip>

it's injera--the classic ethiopian "flatbread". sour in taste and spongy in texture: sort of like a cross between a south indian dosa (for the fermented batter taste) and appam (for texture). classically made with teff but in the u.s more likely to have wheat in the batter, i'd guess.

Teff has been grown in the United States for a number of years. It's available from Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur, and probably others. Not difficult to source. Mongo's guess just might be wrong.

I was going to ask a real question about commonalities between the ethiopian population in MN and the somalis. But then I realized you fucked up the html again.

Seriously though. Are the southern ethiopians related to Somalians?

There are ethiopian somalis there, but mostly somali somalis from the wrong side of the food divide (I think Mongo posted some gnarly looking stuff from their places), and ethiopian ethiopians.