Sign in to follow this  
Sneakeater

Duck Eggs

I made shirred eggs this morning. Would have been delicious had I not overcooked them (if they're hard-cooked, can I still call them shirred?). Will do better next time.

If I can find my good soy, the soy yolks Orik mentioned are on the list. No dashi, though, as all I can get is instant (sufficient for okonomiyaki, maybe not so for my yolks).

My last experience with carbonara was disastrous, and I am wary of wasting my precious eggs on a probable disaster. Cooking is like riding a bicycle. While you may never forget how to do it, it takes practise before you can do the same things you used to do, to the same skill level. Right now I suck.

Maybe I'll do leche flan with the yolks and pavlova with the whites. What could be worse than two desserts?

• Like 1

The eggs scrambled. I also made way too much pasta for the number of eggs and amount of parmesan I used. At least my pasta wasn't overcooked. But it was bad.

Oh, I should post something informational. I don't usually even have breakfast. But today, having some tomatoes at the edge of ruin (and a market day tomorrow), I made some scrambled (duck) eggs with tomatoes and various herbs. Um, yummo!

Last week, having some duck eggs, some duck bacon, and some good-but-about-to-become-worthless cheese, I made a New York egg sandwich (on a Martin's potato bun, as I didn't have any kaiser rolls).

Boy was it good.

WHERE IS MY RAMEKIN????????

So I'm having dinner at a friend's house last night, and she brings everybody out a (delicious) dessert, each in a ramekin.

ME (apropos of nothing):  You know, I need to get some ramekins.

HER:  I need to get rid of some!  Take them!

ME:  I didn't say that so you'd give me ramekins.

HER:  No, really, I have way too many.  How many do you want?

ME:  I dunno.  Two?  Four?

HER:  I need to offload at least six.

So now I have six ramekins.

The ducks, however, have stopped laying.