Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Drive to FL rental car deals open for the season

Each year the rental car companies have a window to move cars from the northeast and midwest to Florida, and from Chicago / Minneapolis, etc to Phoenix and Las Vegas. Rates as low as $5 a day for one way rentals.

Hertz has a tiered program, with northern NY and New England rentals already open. Pick up a car in Buffalo or Burlington today, drop it in Florida within five to 14 days for $6 a day plus copious taxes. The window just opened for NYC area, Pittsburgh, DC area, and will be open until December 10. The Raleigh and Charlotte windows open later in October. You can drop the car anywhere in Florida.

I've done this several times, and it can be a lot of fun. Visit places on your list, check out bbq, take the very long route, etc. Done it in a GMC Acadia, Nissan Rogue, VW diesel Tiguan, Nissan Altima, etc. The luxury and premium brands normally go in an enclosed highway Auto Carrier, or via the Auto-Train. They won't rent you a Maybach or Porsche 911 for $6 a day...

Hertz places its destination deal under Deals & Coupons / Destination Deals. Chicago hasn't been opened yet.

But then you're in Florida, without a car of your own. ;)

I've done it on a ten day rental, spent 3 days driving south, drove around FL, dropped the car at the airport, and flown back to NJ. Did it in reverse last Spring, driving north, and dropping the car in Baltimore.

My sister did it last year or 2015, that was the genesis of an old primary vs secondary insurance thread when a non-vehicle owner rents a car.