prasantrin

Winter 2017-2018

When bad weather is forecast and doesn't arrive aren't you a little disappointed? I'm not talking about hurricanes. Just heavy rains. Or big snowstorms.

We had one of those giant coastal rainstorms headed for NYC and the northeast yesterday. 30MPH winds, gusts into the 40s. 4 inches of rain. Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together!

We hunkered down yesterday afternoon. There were bursts of heavy rain and wind but nothing sustained. Not to worry. The Weather Channel promised that the storm would be delayed but would hit the city heavily at around 11:00PM.

At 11:00PM we did get a ton of rain and wind. And then something weird happened. At around midnight I looked out my window and saw clear skies and the moon shining down. I looked at the weather app and saw that the massive storm had divided about 30 miles south of NYC and split into 2 sections. The eastern end of Long Island and Connecticut got slammed as did central New Jersey and points north. NYC was clear.

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

We had a wedding in Wycoff and the boy spent the day with grandma, who lives in Hillside. Driving was a bitch. They really need to do a better job of marking the lanes on the Parkway. And it was pouring when we arrived home. Thank god for my doorman who held a massive umbrella over me as I pulled a sleeping child out of his car seat.

Mother f'ing winter. I've got mild frostbite on my nose, cheeks, and fingertips despite being bundled up (damn secondary raynaud's!). Tomorrow the high is expected to be -28C (somewhere around -18C), and that's not taking windchill into account. Currently the windchill is -42C (about -44F). And it's colder than Mars and the North Pole.

I win winter!

Allow me to be the first to say "oh fuck." As an introduction to winter in NYC we've had over a week of temperatures 10 to 15 degrees below normal. Now the snowstorm that was predicted to drop 3 to 5 inches on the city looks to be heavier than that.

On Friday and Saturday the temperatures are going to drop into the single digits so the snow will turn into ice. Something like this happened back in 2013 and it took me 2 and a half days to dig my car out. I've still got the ice chipper I bought then, something I never needed before but I suspect I'll need again by tomorrow.

The snow is being blown horizontally up the street outside my door. My balcony has 1 and a half foot drifts. Later, if the snow lets up, I'm going to try to shovel the worst of the snow off my car, especially the drifts around the wheels, before it turns to ice. I am dreading that chore.

Good times.

Although the weather in south Florida is lot warmer than the northeast, the temp got down to 30 degrees on the Treasure Coast, Palm Beach County, etc last night. Wind chills in the mid-20s.

Big issue for agriculture interests, and manatees.

The first earthquake of 2018 woke up the Bay Area about 2:40 this a.m.. Sharp jolt followed by the house grousing and grumbling for several seconds. Until it's over, you continue to ask, "Is this the Big One?" and then contemplate going back to sleep. Contemplate...

The first earthquake of 2018 woke up the Bay Area about 2:40 this a.m.. Sharp jolt followed by the house grousing and grumbling for several seconds. Until it's over, you continue to ask, "Is this the Big One?" and then contemplate going back to sleep. Contemplate...

We felt that all the way down in San Jose--it woke us up. Not quite as scary as the 4.0 one from last week; that was centered in the foothills just east of Alum Rock Park in SJ, so much closer to us. Plus, we were awake at the time, so super-aware of what was happening.

I suppose that's the price you pay for highs in the 60s in January.

Allow me to be the first to say "oh fuck." As an introduction to winter in NYC we've had over a week of temperatures 10 to 15 degrees below normal. Now the snowstorm that was predicted to drop 3 to 5 inches on the city looks to be heavier than that.

On Friday and Saturday the temperatures are going to drop into the single digits so the snow will turn into ice. Something like this happened back in 2013 and it took me 2 and a half days to dig my car out. I've still got the ice chipper I bought then, something I never needed before but I suspect I'll need again by tomorrow.

The snow is being blown horizontally up the street outside my door. My balcony has 1 and a half foot drifts. Later, if the snow lets up, I'm going to try to shovel the worst of the snow off my car, especially the drifts around the wheels, before it turns to ice. I am dreading that chore.

Good times.

Happy bomb cyclone. It topped out at 75 here today.

The news had pictures of the storm tide in Boston. The combination of full moon, high tide, and high winds drove water several blocks into downtown Boston, and surrounding towns.

I want to thank all the MFF members who live in warmer climates for their responses to my comments about winter. When it's 8 degrees tonight it will make me feel better to know that some of you will be able to walk around wearing a light sweater. I will bask in the reflected warmth of your comfort.

You will notice that none of the members from the Northeast have weighed in on this thread in the last 24 hours. That is because a number of them went out last night to escape their apartments where they have been experiencing cabin fever in search of the cheer of a friendly tavern. This has not gone well.

6sSOM.jpg

In spite of that I am now going out to finish digging out my car. I'll be bringing my ice chipper.

• Like 1

What has struck me is how each of us ignores our own climatic risks (ice storms, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, wildfires) while boggling that the other guy is willing to put up with his variety of catastrophe. As in, "why on earth would someone live there?"

While it's been awhile I have very pleasant memories of California. Florida too. They both have their down sides but I don't dwell on them.

The Northeast is pretty nasty right now but I love the change of seasons.

While it's been awhile I have very pleasant memories of California. Florida too. They both have their down sides but I don't dwell on them.

The Northeast is pretty nasty right now but I love the change of seasons.

We'll be over the cold snap soon enough, but Minnesota will still be Minnesota.

We'll be over the cold snap soon enough, but Minnesota will still be Minnesota.

And Minneapolis will still be Minneapolis.