Dodgers 2017

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this the thread where I start talking about the Yankees?

Thanks to the admins for their quick response.

You're entitled to think about the Yankees and how they may be humbled by the Dodgers..

The Dodgers are a real sore spot with me. Back in the late 1980s I had season Mets tickets. I watched them beat the Red Sox in 1986. Then they had a ton of injuries in 1987 but came back strong in 1988. They played the Dodgers in the NLCS.

Mets fans, including me, were really confident. During the regular season the Mets had won about 7 out of 10 games from the Dodgers. Maybe even more. We figured it was a lock that the Mets were going back to the World Series. In fact the team had even sent us our tickets. I had them on top of my dresser and I looked at them every night.

But Tommy LaSorda had a secret plan. He used Orel Hersheiser, who was on fire that year, in every game. Starter, reliever, short rest, no rest. He was always out there. And goddamn Mike Sciosia hit a comeback home run off Dwight Gooden. What a punch to the gut that was.

The Dodgers went on to win the World Series. LaSorda had done a deal with the Devil and the Devil collected. The Dodgers haven't won a Series since then and Hersheiser was finished as a pitcher. His arm was shot.

But that still doesn't make up for the Dodgers breaking our hearts.

Wouldn't say he was "done" as a pitcher just not as effective. He had three very good years with the Indians and one nice year with the Mets at the age of 39. Believe he won about 100 games after 1988.