Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Vincisgrassi, a mushroom and prosciutto lasagna

Sounds a treat. I am reminded of a dinner party some decades ago. A work associate and her husband among the guests. Friday night so I made a meatless but super-loaded with chopped mushroom lasagna. Very substantial and a great hit with everyone but the husband who smiled and ate around it. I apologized later to the wife for disappointing her husband. "Oh, no, he loved it. He just couldn't eat it because he doesn't eat meat on Friday."

This was the superstar dish out of Fabio Trabocchi's kitchen in the short-lived Stephen Hanson Soho Italian restaurant Fiamma (the multi-level one) around 10 years ago.

Trabocchi did not tweak it to reduce the bechamel. And I think his version had some liver and maybe other offal in it.

It was one of the richest things I've ever eaten.

That's saying a lot.

Interesting - a pound of wild mushrooms along with the dried porcini. A trick that Marcella taught me many moons ago, and that I still use on occasion today, is that even criminis can substitute for crazily expensive or impossible to find wild mushrooms, if cooked along with a generous amount of high-quality dried porcini.

And Sneak, I remember that restaurant - it's a great building. And I think I ate there on Hanson's dime, some sort of F & F early tasting dinner.