Instant Pot warning

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see what the big deal is.  I had a crockpot and I used it a lot.  Now I have an appliance that, in the same footprint, also works as a pressure cooker.  That's all it is.   This isn't some n

Done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/02/23/everyone-take-a-deep-breath-your-instant-pot-pressure-cooker-has-not-been-recalled   Not the model that includes a pressure cooker - ver

So someone bought me an 8 quart instapot. Sounds good on paper. Thoughtful gift, definitely. Well, once the reality set in, i now have this 8 quart monstrosity. It’s huge, I can’t even imagine where I would put it. I have the space to store it but, yeh, now I have to climb up a ladder every time I would like to use this time saver.

So, it makes yogurtr, its a slow cooker, it’s a pressure cooker, a canner, it does it all. But, I have pots and pans in my house. Anyway, yadda yadda yadda, I am returning the damn thing and maybe getting a small stove top pressure cooker. My wife said, you are a cook why would you want this machine.

I researched. I wanted to make carnitas, I wanted to cook the pig ears I have in my fridge, I want To make beans in an hour, I want to theoretically make a 6 lb turkey beast is in 40 minutes, or make pulled chicken in 20 minutes, or whatever. All of these things can be done in a small pressure cooker.

I researched. I wanted to make carnitas, I wanted to cook the pig ears I have in my fridge, I want To make beans in an hour, I want to theoretically make a 6 lb turkey beast is in 40 minutes, or make pulled chicken in 20 minutes, or whatever. All of these things can be done in a small pressure cooker.

You're gonna want at least a 6-qt. pressure cooker, otherwise it's pretty useless.  And in your case, considering you do cook for more than 2 or 3 people many times, probably an 8-qt.  So I don't think it's gonna be unnoticeable, and you still may end up climbing a ladder every time you want to use it.

Re: yogurt - I can make some pretty good yogurt at home, but when the store-bought options are even better and even reasonably priced, why bother?  

So here’s another question. I my stock generally takes 12 to 15 hours. It appears every 30 or 40 minutes is like 3 hours, so if I wanted to make a chicken stock I can put the stock in the insta pot of like 3 hours?

I was really upset to learn it want a pressure fryer. I would like a pressure fryer I think.

Since I know of no chicken stock taking 12 - 15 hours (I think in general a classic French chicken stock takes 4-5), I push a pressure cooked chicken stock out in 1.5 hours. And then the release takes some time, because if you release pressure too quickly, everything will boil together, and the stock will lose clarity.  

• Like 1

I'll also say I asked for a stovetop pressure cooker as well and my mother gave me our offbrand instant pot- and I was totally skeptical. But it's great if you use it for the obvious things. I also like that I can set it up and leave the house to do other things. The one real disadvantage over a stove top is that you can't run water over it to do a natural release ( which is what you'll mostly want to do as a forced release stirs things up like crazy)

But don't believe those lunatics who think you can do anything in one...

The one real disadvantage over a stove top is that you can't run water over it to do a natural release ( which is what you'll mostly want to do as a forced release stirs things up like crazy)

But don't believe those lunatics who think you can do anything in one...

Isn't that a manual release as opposed to a natural release, which I thought was just letting the pressure reduce on its own?

I've seen some of the food some of the lunatics make, and it looks pretty fucking good - though I don't use it for much more than stock and beans (and even then, only when in a bit of a hurry).

Don't despise the crockpot function.

As someone who'd never owned a crockpot, yes - this is an added feature. I made beans this way recently, don't have to do much except set the thing up. Which is also the reason I like the pressure cook function - set it and don't worry about burning down the house. With my old school pressure cooker, it was certainly fussier; I gifted that one to friends who go skiing for a month in Park City - she loves it for cooking at altitude, where it's practically a necessity to have one.