Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

My daughter's Spotify

She had reorganized her Spotify playlists into three categories: current (self-explanatory), throwbacks and oldies.

Throwbacks turns out to be geriatric artists like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and--this hurt--Selena Gomez.

Oldies was the interesting one, and she read it through to me. Quite pleasing. A lot of Elvis Presley and Velvet Underground, plenty of rock classics--Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Nirvana, some Stones. Beach Boys, lots of Kinks, Van Morrison, lots of Monkees.

There were a couple of stray Beatles tracks, what can you do? I told her the Journey had to go if she expected any support for college.

I supervised the addition of "Folsom Prison Blues" to her Johnny Cash selection, and then explained why she needed Chuck Berry and chose some for her.

Now thinking she needs James Brown too. But she's well set up.

(And as I type this, "Jennifer Eccles" comes on in the bar, pop having stopped.)

Hadn't occurred to me before, but her grade seems to be overlooking Pistols/Buzzcocks/Clash/Damned.

My work is not yet done.

Maybe let her be rather than channel Mortimer Adler. Her list is or can be a work in progress that she will augment and edit as she grows.

It is her list. That's what I find interesting: that her grade were finding Kinks, Zombies (forgot to mention) without me. It's very much her group of friends. I make additional suggestions.

But you know, if I am going to be read the list, I am going to judge. Judging is what I do.

I was very surprised she had "Heroin" on there.

I do love that her grade is passing Presley tracks around; they have no idea about him being derided as a chubby self-parody. The sheer quality of his work is evident to them.

There is a debate about whether Dolly or Miley does the best "Jolene." I am shocked there's a debate.

It's interesting -- but perhaps not all that surprising -- that Odessey and Oracle is A Thing whereas Forever Changes isn't (I love them both to pieces myself).

It is her list. That's what I find interesting: that her grade were finding Kinks, Zombies (forgot to mention) without me. It's very much her group of friends. I make additional suggestions.

When "her grade" goes to grandma and grandpa's house, that's what they're listening to.

By the way, anyone going to see The Zombies at City Winery this week - 3 shows!

There are some music nerds in her grade, play in bands, do Oasis covers, and love that old stuff. Also, anglophilia, for better or worse, is still a bull market.

I just make suggestions.