Cardamom Coffee Cake

If indeed, you feel this way:

Sorry for the excessively personal questions, but I'm a fan of cardamom and am curious about the various ways in which people use it

I'm sure you could garner quite a bit of response over at eGullet, mostly moribund in the restaurant review department, but still somewhat active with things to do about cooking.

The eG suggestion is useful. Thanks.

(Cardamom is a fascinating spice. The Swedes certainly found it so -- they

took to it from the Moors over, say, cumin, when they were introduced to it.)

I regret that Stone, who has turned from deer-hunting to what he no-doubt

thought was the more genteel sport of cardamom-cake-decorating, has to

witness the bloodbath that this thread has become. But he's a strong fella

(and the only MF-er who qualifies as a "fella" -- although SF comes close)

and can take it.

He can "take it", rather as I have the sorrow I feel at his unwillingness to

respond to my question: Does he pound his cardamom naked, or clothed?

Stone:

1. Listen to Voyager on pan sizes and storage. Think Russian matryoshka dolls.
  2. Remember that using a larger-diameter pan than called for will give you thinner layers that bake faster; conversely, a smaller pan makes thicker layers that may take longer.
  3. If you will be making more frosted cakes, it would be worth your while to get a turntable. Also an icing spatula (straight, long blade) and some decorating combs. Your life will be easier and your cakes prettier--although the one here is not too shabby, except for the sprinkles (not to my taste; pace FoodDabbler, I think coffee beans would be better). NY Cake has several models of turntable; get a taller ("Intermediate") one. You could probably rig one with a lazy Susan, a tall can, and a flat platter, but a real turntable gives a better look.

This is not the "eat"ing that you chaste, virginal, Suzanne F had in mind, but

here's a true story:

I arrive in the good old U.S. of A., young and truly-virginal, from another country.

(I've heard the sex is plentiful in the U.S.)

I register, foolishly, for an 8 a.m. class. I miss the first few. I tell a fellow

student that I aim to get to class the next morning. She says "you won't."

I say "what will you bet that I do?" She says, matter-of-factly, "if you do,

I'll blow you, if you don't you eat me."

I had no idea then what "blow" or "eat" meant, but I had enough sense to

realize that this was a win-win proposition.

yes, I toasted whole green pods and ground them.

Skins and all, or just the seeds?

Sorry for the excessively personal questions, but I'm a fan of cardamom

and am curious about the various ways in which people use it.

Skins and all!

Stone:

1. If you will be making more frosted cakes, it would be worth your while to get a turntable. Also an icing spatula (straight, long blade) and some decorating combs. Your life will be easier and your cakes prettier--although the one here is not too shabby, except for the sprinkles (not to my taste; pace FoodDabbler, I think coffee beans would be better). NY Cake has several models of turntable; get a taller ("Intermediate") one. You could probably rig one with a lazy Susan, a tall can, and a flat platter, but a real turntable gives a better look.

I have a turntable. And an Icing spatula. And a piping bag/tips. And a cupcake carrier. Yeah, that's right, I shoot deer and carve them up, and I have a cupcake carrier. No decorating combs -- yet.

• Like 1

Stone:

1. If you will be making more frosted cakes, it would be worth your while to get a turntable. Also an icing spatula (straight, long blade) and some decorating combs. Your life will be easier and your cakes prettier--although the one here is not too shabby, except for the sprinkles (not to my taste; pace FoodDabbler, I think coffee beans would be better). NY Cake has several models of turntable; get a taller ("Intermediate") one. You could probably rig one with a lazy Susan, a tall can, and a flat platter, but a real turntable gives a better look.

I have a turntable. And an Icing spatula. And a piping bag/tips. And a cupcake carrier. Yeah, that's right, I shoot deer and carve them up, and I have a cupcake carrier. No decorating combs -- yet.

Since you shoot deer, you have patience. Maybe you just need to apply that to cake decorating, since you have the most helpful equipment (which doesn't surprise me; I just wasn't sure if you had that stuff).