current recommendations for chicago?

all in the same ballpark price range as publican from last year's trip - parachute was interesting, but wasn't floored, still worth a visit; fat rice was a load of fun; roister a bit more expensive but quite good and worth the price difference.

Publican has been consistently good.. Though, i hate Chicago's set up of, huge, financed restaurant group locations with 200 seats or more.. It's so impersonal and institutional..

• 2 months later...

I can imagine being fairly annoyed at doing a $200-ish dinner in oppressively loud surroundings.

This isn't a place where you can call it quits after two courses and a glass of wine if it's truly uncomfortable (noting Daniel's remarks about generally large and loud restaurants here two).

it's a tiny restaurant apparently. they said they had to scream to hear each other across a table, and that after a point it began to negatively affect their ability to pay attention to the food.

• 2 weeks later...

My hotel is three minutes walk from the Art Institute where they not only have some current shows which look good, but apparently Caillebotte's "Rainy Day in Paris."

They also have "Sunday in the Park With George," which is wonderful, but which I've seen a few times as it tours like the Dead did.