joechartreuse

The Forgotten Northeastern Bergen County

Without getting into the usual argument about Piermont not being part of northeast Bergen....

The piermont farmers market has been taken over by the folks who used to run the Souk at Outside In. There is a really nice assortment of vendors - bread, cheese, a few fruit/veggie, hummus, flowers, fermented veggies, meat, etc. Considering there are no weekend farmers market in this area (except the obvious but slightly limited option of going to Stokes) this is a nice choice for folks in our area.

• Like 1

We ate at Technique in Westwood, (a fairly new classic French restaurant), for the first time, and had an excellent dinner. We shared several appetizers including an excellent beet salad with ripe strawberries, chèvre, pickled onions, and greens; steak tartare with cornichons, shallots, and capers; tuna tartare with avocado cream, tobiko caviar, and miso. For entrees I had some very flavorful short ribs au poivre with heirloom carrots, turnips and fennel.  Mrs. P had seafood pasta with homemade fettuccine, lobster, scallops, shrimp, tomato and saffron, in a white wine sauce. It all went great with Chateau Sixtine Châteauneuf Du Pape. This is one of the few BYOs that had excellent wine glasses (bordeaux size), even though we brought our own as usual.

AdEj634h.jpg

KN5mim6h.jpg

ycp0TJth.jpg

Sy3hr3nh.jpg

CGXWKm4h.jpg

4F0oQ4Ch.jpg

MGUhxBfh.jpg

hIweNIHh.jpg

um3Oj99h.jpg

bXwSaNxh.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, adding to the list! I think another new french place is opening up in Closter plaza soon as well. Glad to see they have good glasses.

Yes, they definitely have some of the better wine glasses for a BYO. I recommend the short ribs. The prices are a little high and portions are small (small in the way that you won’t be taking home any leftovers). They also have a limited menu of 7 appetizers and 6 entrees, with no real specials (except vichyssoise last night).

Thanks for the heads up, review -- I've been hearing good things about this place! Thanks again.

Nice review in NJMonthly. Though right now it says only open Saturday on the website (review says more days?). This is the sort of place I'd love to try for an early Sunday dinner with the kids without burning a babysitting night.

Yes, they gave them 3 stars. Unfortunately they are not open on Sundays, and they don’t open until 6PM on Saturday. I just looked at their website and they just changed it to only open on Saturday. That is strange. When we went they were open at least 4 or 5 days a week. They should at least open on Friday night.

On a mostly unrelated note someone was advertising a liquor license for sale on the Tenafly Facebook group last week - $150k is the ask. I wish the Saudis that owned the vacant lot in the middle of town would sell it, would be a cool spot for something like a bartaco or family-ish pub.

• Like 1

It looks like they are only open on Saturdays during the summer months. I just made a reservation on the 24th.

Jumping over the northern border again, went to Roost in Sparkill inspired by a mushroom forager's post on Instagram. Small place, casual, cuisine-wise I'd compare to it to a slightly less obviously ambitious The Hill but with better (and in reality more ambitious) food. For example the delicious endive salad had strawberry that were just barely cooked but blistered on one side, which gave excellent depth of flavor. Serano ham on toast with a paste of sun-dried tomato (I think? Maybe it was roast pepper?) had excellent ham to go with the great toasts. Etc etc. Lots of specials with market ingredients from Stokes and other local purveyors. Wine list was not very interesting, a few good beers on tap, not sure if they'd allow corkage.

• Like 1

We had another excellent dinner at Technique with some special Mouthfulsfood members, celebrating a very belated birthday. It appears that Chef Ross works for a corporate kitchen in White Plains during the week, which is the reason why he is only open Saturdays now. I guess the corporate kitchen job provides benefits and pays the rent. He hopes to open more days in the Fall (possibly adding Friday nights). I would love for him to also add Sunday nights as well. He used to be open Wednesday through Saturday.

For appetizers we had steak and tuna tartare, beet salad, and escargot with homemade gnocchi in the most flavorful broth. For entrees we had an excellent special of pan seared sea bass with cream curry corn, and the most flavorful lamb merguez sausage with white bean, tomato, and eggplant mixed with pieces of lamb shank. We shared an apple tart for dessert. We also shared some outstanding wines.

cH5gkpKh.jpg

uXhMJINh.jpg

VQxWyfGh.jpg

6HSaqLjh.jpg

iWTCfpjh.jpg

3hFMDYsh.jpg

vKP84hnh.jpg

G7jHYRMh.jpg

MRiOoyYh.jpg

q5PyNO0h.jpg

17 summer in Lodi (sorry no Southeastern Bergen thread! It would be very short) closed, as did Emma in Englewood.

We had a sensational dinner at Ammata Thai in River Vale, NJ. It was our first time and we liked it so much that we already booked reservations for next Sunday. I highly recommend this beautiful restaurant. Service was very friendly. Everything was bursting with flavor and there were so many different dishes that you don’t see at regular Thai restaurants.They have a basic menu and an adventurous menu. We ordered from the adventurous menu. We shared several appetizers including an excellent crispy lightly tempura battered betel leaves with grilled shrimp, shallots, roasted coconut, ground peanuts, cilantro, and scallions, with a chili lime dressing (You pile that on to the crispy betel leaves); lon of crab dip (which was more like a soup) with big chunks of jumbo lump crab meat, coconut milk, shallots, lemongrass, sweet chili, kaffir lime leaves, and crab roe. We also had a crispy pork belly salad with sweet pepper, pineapple, shallot, scallions, dried shrimp, and cashew nuts in a spicy lime vinaigrette. I also had honey ribs; fried marinated St. Louis pork ribs with spicy honey pineapple glaze, scallions, pickled cucumbers, and fried potato chips. For entrees Mrs. P had crispy fried butterflied branzino with tumeric oil, shallots, cashew nuts, green apple and fresh pineapple salad. I had an awesome Southern crab curry with huge chunks of jumbo lump crab meat, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric, betel leaves, and roasted cauliflower.

I found out about this place from a nice write up from the table hopping column in NJ monthly (link below). I also have a link to their menu.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-drink/table-hopping/ammata-in-river-vale-modern-thai-that-stays-true-to-traditional-flavors/

https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-29553901/documents/5adde9c49d7fc7JOQD8T/ammata_dinner_x5.pdf

MNZk5x1h.jpg 

297vkuPh.jpg

gToEsgmh.jpg

87Hzsedh.jpg

QEaB7MNh.jpg

Sqk4cvkh.jpg

yDsZQA2h.jpg

Ex2LfR6h.jpg

HdyPFqbh.jpg