• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, someone has to start this thread, and I did go last night, but it took Significant Eater longer than expected to arrive, so I was content with an aperitif and a glass of Pet Nat, and 5 delicious

By the time this thread peters out,I think that Frenchette may have a burger on the menu...

In keeping with a long-standing tradition on MFF, this response is obligatory:   Having been to neither The Grill or Frenchette, I can unequivocally state Frenchette is certainly more "Mad Menesque"

Its whelk. Wikipedia is wrong (kind of - conch isn't exactly the most precise term in this usage, whereas Whelk and Boulot are much more precise)

The alternate scenario says that the source of cheap shellfish in Brooklyn 50 years ago wasn't the Great South Bay, but rather the Bahamas.

If you saw whelk meat and true conch meat you'd see the difference.

The turbot is so so old, and I am so nice for pretending to like it. So old.

I dont think its nice. The idiot cook who didnt notice it being off should get screamed at. Theyre trying to train up relatively green cooks. Being nice about it just increases the possibility that it happens again.

Unless the green cook sauces the fish with ammonia, I can't see how the restaurant or distributor keeping it for too long could be fixed by screaming.

The fish itself couldn't be fixed. But the fact that bad fish wound up on a customer's plate could be.

That aside, it probably doesn't require screaming. But if the cook got a stern, slightly-above-conversational-volume talking-to about smelling the product before and after cooking it would help. Especially with fish. There's only one letter separating poisson from poison.

Without going into fish toxicity and how it doesn't particularly relate to it being old (otherwise we'd all be pretty dead by now) it's simply not my job to get into an adversarial situation when I don't feel like it, and when the business is represented by a waitress who I'd be surprised to learn has ever seen a fish up close. In my experience the only outcome in those situation is the manager coming around with "I heard you didn't like the fish so we took it off your tab", which would only make it more upsetting as it'd imply the restaurant graciously eating the fish over a matter of opinion.

This is interestingly sticky. Would anything be served by making a point of a quiet conversation with the manager regarding your objections to the fish? Kind of a non-accusatory statement that said fish slipped by their rigorous product inspection protocol?